Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students Blaming The Teacher

I have found that sometimes students blame the teacher for their performance challenges. You didn't tell me that.; You ended class early.; etc.

Hi Dee,
Students will put the blame on you, and for that reason alone, you should not give students the amunition to put the blame on you.
Patricia

I have the same problem...I am putting more detail in my syllabus and reviewing the syllabus on the 1st day of class to hopefully avoid some of the blaming.

Hi Laurie,
Implement it ASAP. It will decrease a lot of complaints/concerns, thus making things better for you and your students.
Patricia

I find that students need to be reminded that they need to be their biggest advocate and that I have an obligation to help them. Having said this, accept the blame if that is what they want but be clear that they are the ones that are affected if they let it continue. I find calling them out instead of hiding makes a more drastic impact on the student.

Hello Andrew,
Elaborate on "calling them out." I need to make sure you are handling this professionally, which I am sure you are.
Patricia

Hi Dee: I have found over the years that more prepared I am at the beginning of the class, this less this happens at the end of the class. This means taking the time to discuss my expectations at the start of the class and make sure that every student acknowledges that they understand. This little step goes a long way in helping students take responsibility for their learning process.

Hi Christina,
Students must take responsibility, and they need to be held accountable to the highest standards.
Patricia

I have heard that so many times. I typically use the "lecture sandwich" technique. I present the material for the day, we apply it, then we sit and talk about it. I conclude the class with asking for any concerns. If there are any students wwho do not feel like they took in what they needed. Most of the time there are no questions. So when I hear students say those things, I take it seriously, but typically they are out of line.

I think it is important to listen to the student's point of view. Sometimes we are too quick to blow off the student. If we are at fault, then take responsibility for it. If not, then clearly outline to the student that they are responsible for their behavior and education.

Hi Robert,
What type of comments do you hear from students when it pertains to blaming the teacher?
Patricia

I've been instructing for almost 7 years now and my syllabus and class information material, keep getting bigger and bigger... I review my syllabus every new class (6 weeks) and I also include calendar, rubrics, detailed assigment requirements, etc. And I still get, "is not my fault" or "you gave me ___ grade"

Hi Rene,
Don't let them play the guilt trip on you. Students must learn how to take responsibility for their own action.
Patricia

Before the Thanksgiving Holidays my students were told that the Lab requirements would be adjusted for the time off.
The acknowledgement from the students, all seemed to understand.
The student course evaluation indicated, not all students did understand the lesser requirements.
Some thought they may have failed the course.
Previous years it was never a problem.

Hi Allen,
Acknowledgement will sometimes lead you to believe that students understand, but when they communicate through writing, the writing shows that they don't understand. We find out best if they understand by written communication or hands on. If they don't let you know they don't understand you assume they understand.
Patricia

They have to put the blame somewhere and the normal person would be the teacher. It isn't their fault they aren't learning or spending the necessary amount in the classroom. It is our fault for not being flexible and allowing them to come and go as they please. I encourage participation from the student, but I do refer back to the grading rubric each time there is menial work submitted. I have had students submit half an assignment and complain they didn't receive a "B" because they worked hard. I am a bad person for holding them accountable.

Hi Janette,
Keep doing your job. Students MUST learn how to be held accountable.
Patricia

Students blame the teacher if he or she appears to be the enabling type--therefore, you always be honest with your students and help them to appreciate being able to hanlde as well as accept responsibility well!

We have very detailed information in the syllabus and in the class by class cirriculum that we give out the first day of class. I spend a lot of time going over all of that, making sure exam dates are known and clearly visable to the students. On the first day of class I also make my qualifications very clear - why I am the "expert" chosen to teach this class. We offer tutoring and also give the students a study guide prior to exams to help them study most effectively. With all of that combined I don't have problems with students blaming the instructor.

I agree, students MUST be held accountable. They will always try to blame you, but in the work place they are responsible for themselves.

Sign In to comment