Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students that are ready to give up.

The students are ready to give up i try give encouragement to on keep on keeping on. I tell them that nothing good comes easy.

I try to listen to the student and findout what might be causing them to feel like quitting.

I talk to the student and try to understand what they are having difficulty with.

Hi Glen,
It is a must to be able to talk to your students. Students feel that you care whenever you converse with them.
Patricia

I tell my failing students that the problems they are having outside of school sometimes are more important than school. When they feel that you understand they will sometimes find the gumption to finish the class.

Hello Dale,
Students must know that we are understanding people, and we care. I've had students to work hard so that they don't disappoint me.
Patricia

many times when the student isn't doing well, I will have them move their seat to the front of the classroom. this almost always improves their grades and they then have a better attitude.

Hi William,
What a smart tactic to utilize to help improve a student's grade. This tactic does generally work well.
Patricia

I agree and some times students who are having a hard time in class will give up and thats where they need us most

Hi Ronald,
How do you convice a student not to give up?
Patricia

Pursuading a student to stay is like sales; you try to remove the objection. Converstations with students should directly address the barriers the student cites as reasons to drop out of school.

Obviously, the fairness, competance, and interest an instructor creates in the classroom can help a student resist the temptation to drop. But, there are life issues that the student sees that appear to force their hand to drop.

Instructor rapport can be helpful in difficult circumstances because the student may confide about a situtation that the teacher can't do anything about. That's the time to direct the student to financial aid, if that's the issue. Maybe Student Services or the Registrar, or the Director of Education can help solve the problem.

The point is to get the student to the office that can potentially help the most.

As the librarian on campus, I try to send students to the appropriate offices all day long.

I will talk to the student as to encourage them to know they can be a success in there field and I will help them as much as I can.

Hi Gabriel,
It sounds like you are a retention coordinator instead of a librarian. :-) Continue to look out for the students. It appears you are doing a fine job. I know your institution appreaciates the role you play with trying to retain students.
Patricia

Hi Richard,
Continue to a very helpful instructor. Student appreciate it whenever the instructor is helpful.
Patricia

Hello Harland:

You are so right. another thing I do is I use my self as an example I'm instructor at the same college I when to and for me wasn't esy so I let them konw.

Hi Michell,
I have shared the same stories. Things have not been a bed of roses for me, but I perservered and made it, and they can do the same. I try to be very encouraging/motivating.
Patricia

I also encourage them to stay and that they can do it. I find some times just the extra personal attention can make the diffrence.

Hi Thomas,
Some of our students are screaming "I want/need personal attention." Most of the time when personal attention is given, the student becomes so much more tolerable. Some of our students do not get any personal attention from home. We must sure care and compassion in the classroom.
Patricia

Although, students may understand the importance of getting an education and its relationship to their future and career, there are times when they are ready to give up.

It is important that the instructor engage these students and try to reignite their passion or commitment to their education. This can be done by share similar experience instructor had as a student, remind the student of the value of education and offer to provide help and guidance or connect them to campus clubs, or other students who can be a source of friendship and encouragement.

Hi David,
Absolutey, as educators we must continue to motivate our students so that they keep their eyes on the prize. It sounds like you do a fabulous jobs at keeping your students grounded with their goals.
Patricia

Sign In to comment