Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with unfocused students.

I continually advise the students that their GOAL is to be successful, not only in my class, but overall in their education. And the only way to achieve their GOAL is to maintain their FOCUS! This simple fact usually brings them back.

Hi John,
While in school, you must maintain your focus. You have told your students right. You went straight to the point.
Patricia

There are many reasons why students are unfocused including external factors (friends, work, etc.) but one of the main influencing factors is creating a sense of importance on the information they are learning. Through my experiences, if you can connect your course learnings with something that is relevant to the student, it may give them a higher level of interest in the subject and help focus their attention.

Hi Jesus,
You are on point. Connection is key. When a connection has been established you can make unfocused students become very focused. You mentioned some good points in your response.
Patricia

Hi!
It depends what the students are unfocused on.

If it is from personal issues- then I try to find them to someone who can help them- and try to be understanding with out being unfair or biased.

If it is that they are overwhelmed- I redirect their focus to "one day" at the most two days out. Once they can get the grasp of the schedule- it seems to help.

If it is because they are unmotivated/ bored, or the like- i found out why- and then try to find more ways to get them involved.
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
I see you put thought and effort into trying to help your students. Continue to be helpful.
Patricia

I teach Intro to Sociology and Leadership to medical students. With Sociology, many have already taken the course and come to class resenting the fact that they are required to take the class again. Leadership is a "business" course chosen as an elective. In that class, I find students upset that the class won't be an easy "A" . . . plus, I've heard complaints that the book (and video component) isn't relevant to the student's life. I start the class assisting the students to see relevance in the the course, attempt to bring new medical field examples to class, and explain "how" the material is relevent in the medical field as the course progresses . . . and still field complaints. I'm starting to think that by bringing field-related examples to class . . . the attempt to make frequent connections to the medical field . . . calls attention to the fact that I recognize the deficits within the course design (course design generally outside my control). Some students spot/exploit the weaknesses. Jim

Hi James,
You may need to get with your academic dean or lead teacher to discuss the weakness of the course so that something can be done. As you've stated, it is beyond your control. Contact the person who can take care of the situation.
Patricia

Sign In to comment