Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you get students to disclose their learning disability.

Sometimes I get a student that has an Accomadation Plan showing his/her learning problem, but will only pull it out when the going gets tough, like just before a test is given they pull it out and it may say that the test must be read to them. How do you get the student to show this plan at the begining of class, I know we are not allowed to ask for them, so how do you do it?

Hi Gregory,
Once I observe that there is a weakness, I have a private conversation with the student. I mention the weakness, and I make it known that I want them to be successful, but in order to help I need them to be honest with me so that I can better help them. Normally this works, and they will share with me or at least another staff/faculty member they are comfortable with.
Patricia

That is a good suggestion, I usually get my ed manager involved. My problem is that you my not see a problem and all of a sudden they pull this trump card by showing an accomadation plan especially just before a test.

Hi Gregory,
If they pull the trump card right before the test, make it known to the student that they must take the test, but for future reference you are going to try to find he/she some professional help. You can also let the student take the test late, but at the minimum the student should lose at least 10 points for not sharing the plan with you sooner.
Patricia

I tell my students that I need to know the day before the first test. I also let them know that if they would like to try on their own that is fine too but they have to make the choice before I am ready to hand the test out.

Psychological recently i had a student in my class with some psychological "difficulties", i approach him a few times very delicate and he always was in negation about him having a learning problem, it wasn't until i told him a story about a student that had a similar problem and that he looked for help and improve his situation that he excepted his condition and assure me he was getting help. i think he was shy about accepting his problem

Hi Humberto,
Sometimes students are embarrassed to share/admit to their disablitity. You have to use a very calming and confidence approach when trying to convince a student to share their disability.
Patricia

I am finding more and more that their is a huge language barrier to multiple choice test questions and students that speak English as a second language. I am finding more and more that essay type questions fit these students much more.

Tyson

Hello Tyson,
I am thinking because with essay questions they can write a response to what they believe the question is asking. With multiple choice, they may not understand any of the choices. Have you revised your tests due to this finding?
Patricia

i really like this idea...it holds them to a standard but allows for future help and compassion. I have dyslexcia and stuggled as a child in elementary school before i was diagnosed. I share this with my students in the begining of class to show that there is nothing to be ashamed of and that it a learning disability need not stop them from getting the education they want for themselves.

Hello Christine,
You can certainly use yourself as a role model with a disability that has gained success. You are a proven example that you do not have to fail based on disbilities.
Patricia

I am a teacher that students have in first term. I teach a communications class. I have tried to create assessments the first week that help me ascertain if a student has a problem. If they fail any of the assessments, I have a private consultation with then and we assess what went wrong. I find out language barrier and test anxiety to be the most prevailing problem. Only once did I have a large group of individuals say they did not study and that class was made up of young students in higher ed for the first time.

Hi Sarah,
When you discover a student has test anxiety what do you do to combat that?
Patricia

A discussion the first day of class with the group and information included in the course syllabus, giving a due date for documentation of the learning disability might be effective. A due date before the first examination would give the student time to provide you with the documentation and a time to speak with the student one-on-one.

Sign In to comment