Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Late work. case by case or across the board standards.

Im very new to the professional instructor world (4 months) I am having a hard time deciding what would be a better option on the case of late assignments. Case by case can be time consuming and frustrating. However case by case seems to be more fair with situations such as family emergencies, medical reasons etc but a firm late policy for all regardless is fair because these situations arise in the real world and depending on the boss or company, late assignments will be dealt with case by case or a total no go. My questions is this. Is there a fair way to combine the two with learner instructor communication or should that firm line be drawn into the sand?

Hi Peter,
I draw that firm line in the sand. I only accept late assignments in extenuating circumstances with appropriate documentation.

Patricia Scales

Right now if the students miss their tests I give them makeup tests and they need to put the same effort as the other students who took the test for the first time since they do not get the review as the students present get.

Hi Indira,
We have an institution policy on taking tests late. The first day, the student loses 10 points, second, third, and fourth day they lose an additonal 5 points each day, after the 4th day, the student receives a 0. We do not have many students taking their test late.

Patricia Scales

Hi Patricia. Thank you for sharing your policy on make-up or late tests. I find that some of my students are absent on test day, and then they put off taking the exam, which makes it difficult for me to review the information with the rest of the class. I would like to implement something like you mentioned, and have it as part of my expectations on the first day of class. As far as late homework, I have found myself going back and forth between no late work accepted, to offering half credit (with different classes, not changing my mind with the same class). I can see that I need to be consistent and just stick to one thing because I would be happier with the results.

Hi Courtney,
Consistency is key! Have a policy and enforce it! Students will get the word out that you are a stickler for your policies.

Patricia Scales

Peter, I agree with Patricia. I too draw a line in the sand - no late work unless there are very compelling reasons (for example, medical emergencies or deaths in the family). For compelling circumstances, I too require documentation.

It's really hard to stick to, especially when you are the kind of person who wants to help other people, but over the years I've reminded myself that I am helping. I'm helping by preparing my students for the real world.

When I have first semester students, I start of each class for the first several weeks by writing "No late work" on the whiteboard as a reminder to them, and myself, that no late work is accepted. The policy is clear in my syllabus as well.

However... at midterms, I give each student two late passes. These passes are usually printed on blue paper and allow students to turn in any missing assignment for full credit at any time. It's my way of saying that sometimes, "life happens." Students breathe a sigh of relief and usually end up respecting my policy even more.

However, I'm really curious about what you guys think of this policy. Is it too harsh?

Hi Katie,
I think the policy is very fair and no it is not too harsh. You are truly preparing your students for the real world.

Patricia Scales

Late homework gets 0 points. Missed tests or quizzes can only be made up if ill with a doctors note. Students who come to class late and miss a quiz or test there is no makeup. Every time there is a test the students are informed of date and time for the test. My class starts at 6 pm. Some students think their class starts at 7 pm.

Hi Rose,
I love your sterness. You really get from students what you expect.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment