Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

student should take tes two times the allow them to take open book

students that have scored below the average have been more successful after the second time being allowed too take open book so they can start learning the right answers

Hi Cornelius,
I don't give open book tests. I can certainly see how students can benefit the second go round from having an open book test.

Patricia Scales

I do allow open notebook tests---this shows that students are responsible in that they are taking efficacious notes in class---the grade that goes in is a test score and a notebook/participation grade. My open notebook tests require a sedulous effort to complete and although they tend to be less anxiety provoking, the material is not as facile as a closed-notebook exam.

Hi Regina,
I certainly understand your perspective. You made some good points. I have witnessed some open book tests are harder than closed book tests.

Patricia Scales

I like giving students open book exams for a couple of reasons. One is that in the work place, there is almost never a time when students don't have access to the internet. Instead of focusing on memorization of facts and figures, I stress the importance of being able to locate information when it is needed, and being able to use it in a relevant way.

The second reason is because open book exams definitely reduce the anxiety level of students, and help them do better on the assessment, which is intended to measure their ability to access and apply the information they are learning through critical thinking skills.

I have also allowed open book test after failing the first test. I feel that it helps the student because they have to research and learn what they didn't get and understand during lab or class. I have not given any open book test on a first test though.

Hi Sandra,
Not a bad idea! Our bottom line is for students to learn.

Patricia Scales

I don't allow my students to take an open book test or take it a second time, unless the majority of the students failed the same test them I have to wonder if I didn't present the material effectively.

The reason I don't allow open book tests is because I teach the material in the classroom, then in the lab we go over the same material but I show them how it works visually, then allow them to try it as well. They are aware of what the need to study, and it is their responsibility to learn the material and if they don't understand it they know they can come to me to help them understand it better.

Brenda

Hi BRENDA,
This is my perspective as well. I thoroughly prepare my students for tests. I even give them a study guide. I let my students know that the test will be open brain. They get a a kick out of this.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment