Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making students comfortable

I like to start my first class with details of what I expect of them. This makes it clear in their minds how to respond to my directions during the course.

I also give them an exercise where they work together to find solution to a simple problem but in a group. This enables them to know their classmates better.

They then have to present their group findings and work for the presentation as a group as well.

Hi Asha,
I really like how you allow you students to start the bonding process on Day 1. Students work better together when they feel they are getting to know/know each other. I also think it is very beneficial to students when expectations are presented to them on Day 1.

Patricia Scales

You're correct. It is so important for students to bond. It makes for a better atmosphere in the classroom and get the students in socializing mode.

Hi Rose,
I agree! Students can certainly be helpful to each other,therefore it is important for students to bond!

Patricia Scales

One of the first things I do in my class is have everyone introduce themselves and have them exchange numbers if they would like. The reason for this is if they get home and want to talk to another student about their homework assignment or a project that I have given them they know how to get in touch with each other. I tell them from the beginning that we are a little family and not only am I there for them, but also their classmates as well. Some students are shy at first about asking an instructor questions in front of room full of other students they don't know. This seems to help them from being so overwhelmed and gives them a chance to bond with someone and keeps them coming to class.

Hi Janis,
I like how you go about building relationships. Students need to know that they have someone else to help them with their success. I am sure great friends have come about from you utilizing this system.

Patricia Scales

Hello Asha,
Your approach on the start of class is well noted. I engage the class by allowing students to interject professional and personal experience into the course material. I allow the students to dialogue briefly about how the course material works for their past employment of future job. Often times the student is reiterated throughout the course, based on this dialogue what their goal is and how the current lesson can assist them in this process.

Sign In to comment