Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

getting students interested from day 1

getting each student to understand each class will help them in the jobs they do today and the work they will do tomorrow

Hi Gregory,
Students understand the course relevancy when they know how the course will help them on the job.

Patricia Scales

I am a firm believer that giving a "fun fact" everyday in class pertaining to what you are discussing is a wonderful way to keep the students involved!

I like to do this as well. Sometimes I have shared with them common errors made in the field, or court cases involving an error made. This gets the class thinking about the right things to do and their own actions.

Hi Racheal,
A good way to grab a student's attention is to talk about mistakes/errors. No one likes being wrong.

Patricia Scales

When I taught an ethics course to massage therapy students it was easy to keep their attention because I had 15 yrs of experience to tell them real life stories from. It is much more difficult to have real life stories about anatomy and physiology courses. Looks like I have some research to do to come up with others' stories to share.

When I don't have a real life experience to share, I have found that asking students if they have had any similar situations happen in there life creates a great class discussion. More often than not students are able to relate to each others stories.

Hi Bonnie,
Some courses are a lot easy to bring in real life stories, others aren't. Sometimes students can provide great feedback to help make a lecture interesting.

Patricia Scales

Hi Crystal,
Believe it or not, our students have a lot to share based on the content that we are teaching. Sharing stories is an excellent way to generate discussion.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment