Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to manage the negative student(s)

How do one go about dealing with young adult students that are negative about everything presented in the classroom?

At first I thought that she was just some young kid fresh out of high school,that was used to having a silver platter. She is a whiner about everything, but she has a friend that is really smart who tries to do everything possible to ensure that she passes all of her course work. (By the way, she is much younger than her classmate that is so negative).
This concerns me because negativity travels, and has influence which causes choas in the class.

What is the best way to handle her and/or any others that may come my way?

Hi Lisa,
You need to have a firm private conversation with this student to determine what is going on and make it plain that you will not tolerate negativity in your classroom. If she continues to be negative after the talk, have her removed from your class. Employers are not going to tolerate this type of behavior on the job.

Patricia Scales

Thank you for your response Ms. Scales.
I will take this in strong consideration, and follow through. We are returning to school tonight, but I won't see her until tomorrow night. If even after the holiday break her attitude is still the same, then I will take action. I try to give each student the benefit of the doubt because we never know what they are going through, but it isn't fair to the other students, and I realize this.
Thank you again

LT

Ma'am,

On my really tough to handle students, I have tried speaking with them privately without much success.

So I thought that I would implement a new strategy.

I began speaking with my class saying that I would like to incorporate a "class leader", which would consist of two different students who would be responsible for exhibiting "professionalism in the classroom & working environment". I picked one exceptional student, and my "problem" child.

Within the first few days, I was so completely amazed when my "problem" child" actually rose to the occasion and began to emulate some of my professionalism techniques. She has done a complete turnaround. I believe that when she finally figured out that all of the students would be looking to her for the "correct" ways of acting professional, and that if she continued on her normal "unproductive" path, that this may not portray the accurate behavior to her peers.

I approached her with expressing my praise as to the "change in her behavior" and she explained that she was able to look up different techniques in various venues to make others understand that "bad or negative" behavior should not be part of our professional working attitude.

I was highly encouraged with her progress, and I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Thanks,
Dianna

There may be mitigating circumstances that are being reflected in the attitude within the class time. At one time in a previous college, I was introduced to a class that had already been "through" two previous instructors. I found (and was very green at the time) that being firm allows the instructor the room to back off if performance improves, but going in too softly creates difficulty in becoming firmer. Thoughts?

Hi Dianna,
Wow, this is awesome! What great thinking on your part! It shows you that students can lead if there is a need, and they can do it right! Super way to bring out the best in a student.

Patricia Scales

Hi Rachael,
I concur, start off firm. You have to make a strong presence on Day 1, otherwise if you are soft students will run all over you.

Patricia Scales

Ms. Scales,

Thank you for your feedback. Sometimes is very difficult to know if we are doing the right things in our classes. Your feedback helps me to know that I'm on the right track :-)

Agian, Thank you.

Dianna

Hi Dianna,
Continue to strive. You will do well. Negative students sometimes turn out to love the instructor they gave the hard time to and will thank you lady for working with them.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment