Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

student motivation

I like to motivate the students to come for the next class period by sharing a few exciting tidbits of what we will be learning the class time.

On the first day of class I have students tell me why they decided to enrole in school and why they selected the field that they did. I make a note about it and if I see them struggling down the line, I pull them aside and remind them about why they are here and try to motivate them toward the goal they are trying to acheive. It usually works well and I see an immediate improvement in performance, attendance, etc.

Hi Sandra,
Great idea to get students exciting about returning. As instructors we must be the best salespeople in the building because each day we have to sell them on coming back the next day. I leave it with we will pick up with Part II tomorrow or this is what we will be doing tomorrow, and you do not want to miss it.
Patricia

I like to end each class by also asking students some questions about topics we will be covering in the next class. I never answer them until the next class.

I agree that teachers are salespeople. Not only do we have to be subject matter experts but also motivators. Those two roles seem to get the students to class.

I agree--introducing exciting elements into a course helps to motivate students, especially on the first day of class. Of course, what's "exciting" depends largely on the course itself--but anything related to a course that is also exciting can be helpful. For example, in an English class, sharing your own writing with students can be engaging on the first day, or on any day.

I agree that students need constant encouragement to keep them motivated. Use an example for them to look at the big picture for a while rather than just concentrating on the next test or assignment.

Agree giving them some clue as to whats next keps them anxiuos...

Hi Chasity,
We have to keep their interest high, and let them have a preview of what is to be continued...
Patricia

I find it more difficult in the clinical instructor world, where basically they are working without the pay and the hours are long. On top of doing there extern we as instructors need to have physical documentation to hold them accountable for. I find that by explaining that this is an extended job interview and possible your future employer. So putting your best foot forward may land you your future gig.

This is a great idea! I do the same thing.

Sign In to comment