Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Knowing when to shift the learning responsibility back to the student

When you offer tutoring, different ways in which to present the information, go over the material in class to make sure they are "getting it" but no one responds yet you find out in the 4th week they aren't comprehending...what do you do?

Hi Darlisa,
It is not much you can do if the 4th week is the end of the grading period. I have experienced this before, and I have a firm private conversation with the student emphasizing the need for me to know as soon as possible whenever there are challenges with the material so that I can assist more.
Patrica

Hi Darlisa, this is a challenge for me, too. Ultimately the responsibility for learning is on the student, and not responding to opportunities for tutoring or help shows me how engaged they are in the course. I have started using written communication with the students that have borderline passing grades. The communication states the tutoring times, reiterates the minimal passing grade for my course, and reminds the student that failing my course results in withdrawal from the program. When I use a written communication, it removes the possiblity that the student was not plugged into the general verbal announcement regarding tutoring and lets the student know that I am aware of his grade and have time allocated for tutoring. Has this strategy resulted in improved grades? Not yet, but it gives me the assurance that I have communicated my availability and expectations clearly throughout the course.

I agree with Catherine that using written as well as verbal communication can be effective for both the individual student and for you.

However, if you are asking about how to combat this on a larger scale with multiple students, I would suggest increasing the number of formal and informal formative assessments you use in the first three weeks. Formative assessments - brief check-ins with students to monitor progress - can be part of your daily or weekly routine and can take the form of reviews, games, journal entries, etc. At the very least, these may help you identify those students who say they understand (but really don't).

I make sure that by the mid-term time I have calculated their mid-term grade. I show them their grade in private and have them initial it. I let them know there is time to bring their grade up. I stress the importance of doing their workbooks and getting the best grade they can for them and that will help prepare them for the tests. I let them know of anytime that I offer extra class time perhaps before or after class, that they could take advantage of additional practice/instruction.

Sign In to comment