Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective Syllabus

Part of my concern is just how rigid should a syllabus be? I understand that things don't always go as smoothly as planned, but don't students set their expectations in class by the syllabus?

Hi Paul,
Rigidness can be geared toward an academic perspective as well as a discipline perspective. The rules depend on how strict you want to be, and the academic part should be weighted equally based on the amount of work pertaining to specific parts, such as tests, quizzes, projects, homework, etc.
Patricia

When preparing a syllabus, MaxKnowledge suggested having a signing sheet for the students to sign to say they have read the syllabus for verification. How often is that practiced?

Many of our programs require the students to sign that they received the syllabus and understand the requirements of the course. This has proven valuable when students try and challenge a grade from the instructor because they didn't pay close attention to due dates, etc.

Many of our programs require the students to sign that they received the syllabus and understand the requirements of the course. This has proven valuable when students try and challenge a grade from the instructor because they didn't pay close attention to due dates, etc.

i think so too

Sign In to comment