Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Contingency Plans

With every new class we encounter new challenges. I find it helpful to have several back-up plans for every part of the course that I am teaching. These plans are developed over time as you encounter many different groups of students. These should be written down until the different approaches and techniques become second nature to you. When one approach does not keep my students engaged or motivated, I can move seamlessly to plan-b or plan-c to keep the students involved.

Hi John,
Great ideas! It is always smart to have serveral different plans in place to revert to. No two classes are the same.
Patricia

Hi John,
I agree with contingency plans. Students learn in manny different manners, levels, and speed. I like to have more information than I need for that specific class. I have been challenged with speed readers, those who read at an elementary level and everything in between. Having contingency plans helps students,the teacher and the flow of the course.

Hi Jennifer,
Contingency plans have proven to be very effective.
Patricia

This also helps with class timing. Some classes just seem to "get it" and lectures tend to go much faster with class coming to an end earlier than expected. I always try to have a "plan b" or "backup material" so that I can add more activities, examples, etc. to fill in the gaps.

Hi Virginia,
A contingency plan is very important. Things will sometimes go wrong. A back up system, such as a contingency plan comes into great play when this happens.
Patricia

Sign In to comment