Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

expectation and requirment

when giving the expectation and requirements make sure that the student understands all of the who why and how grade consistant and fairly answer questions frankly with as much detail as possible It seems to me that some instructors expect the student to know how to do tasks without demos and if they can do that then why are they in school don't get pulled into that frame of mind

Hi Cecil,
Students know exactly what is expected of them whenever the who, why and how are answered based on any given topic. I try to be very thorough whenever I answer questions so that there are not any gray areas. We as educators should demonstrate if at all possible as to how to do a particular assignment. It seems as though students get a better understanding whenever a demo is performed. We should always help our students; it is our job as educators.
Patricia

Response to Patricia, I too feel that we have to be very clear top the students about what is expected of them and the objectives in which we will provide them with the means to obtain those goals. The syllabus needs to be clear and reinforcing it with verbal communication can only help.Terrific post. Sharon

Hello Sharon,
I've learned over the years students love clarity. They want to know what is expected of them upfront so that they can work toward being successful.
Patricia

Patricia, I also agree. I also believe that we should listen to the students needs and not set the bar too high. It is important to make sure that the class meets their needs not only for an education but providing career needs as well. Thanks for responding, Sharon

Hi Sharon,
As educators, we must be effective listeners. It is our ultimate job to prepare our students for the workplace.
Patricia

i think this would really work

I show my students what and how to do there labs and what i expect to see. I also put a sample up on the board for them to see so they know what is expected of them.

Hi Donald,
I like the idea of you putting a sample on the board. It seems when you use the board, the information tend to stick better.
Patricia

I agree, the expectations need to be known up front. It makes it easer for the students to follow the course and have no suprises.

Hi Thomas,
Knowing what is expected up front is key. Students really and truly want to know what is expected of them.
Patricia

Showing them examples and what to do in lab is a life saver. When one small point is forgotten it is really noticed in the amount of time it takes to complete lab tasks. Instruction sheets passed out at the same time also helps because they can refer back during lab.

Hi Mark,
Students love to have documentation to refer to.
Patricia

Students know what to do, but there are times when examples or further clarification needs to be provided. I will provide sample forms, etc. to show expectations. I also have a sample APA Paper I use to show proper format.

Hi Janette,
You can not go wrong with visual teaching.
Patricia

Hi Donald,
Whenever I start a new subject I always demonstrate in our demo computer lab new
topic subject material then they will do demostrated technique. This is very important
when teaching AutoCADD. For theory classes I demonstrate on white board along with handouts
how to do assigned worksheets.Each week I give students a new schedule when projects are due and upcoming tests.I set due to dates as we are industry modeled. Late work = lost customers,$$$$,and possible jobs.

Sign In to comment