Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stress

How much do vacations really help?
Or do they hurt?

That's a great question Theodore. The answer really depends on whether you truly allow yourself to take a vacation or whether you only get there partially. Many instructors are tempted to keep a cell phone or data device on and to be available to their administration during their vacations. I recommend powering down and setting expectations with your administration that you will be doing so.

Vacations, as all things, are only as effective as you allow them to be. You can allow yourself to be calm, or you can take your work with you. Vacation time is also influenced by your work environment. I had one job where you were allowed your vacation, but you were responsible for finding co-workers to cover your shift. That was very stressful, because at the end of the day, it was on you. Also, if the coverage was bad, you came back to a real mess. The company was not supportive of their own process, and it created a negative, stressful atmosphere.

That sounds tough Gina! Yes, vacations are only effective as we make them. Making a commitment to ourselves, our friends and family during vacation is key.

If it is one thing I know it is stress. You have it before vacation to get everything set up and finished before you leave town. Then when you are away you are thinking of things that are due. When you return it is to catching up on loads of things needed. It just doesn't seem fair, where was the R&R?

Sign In to comment