Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personal stress

I found this module very enlightening on a personal basis. Lately, financial worries have created a lot of stress for me which in turn has effected personal and professional relationships. This stress has caused sleeplessness, headaches and other assorted physical problems. It's also become a test on my sense of humor, which has helped me through many tough times. Physically, I continue to work out regularly and eat healthy but the financial stress wins out at times.

I agree with this individual. I have found humor and regular workouts helps to manage stress. Prior planning also helps.

I understand this! Financial stress is one of my top stressors of late! I recently financed some research on my own, and paid for the registration and travel to a meeting. I managed to do some networking, have a new poster presentation on my CV, and had wonderful time...but it was expensive! Now my finances are particularly precarious.

Michael, I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes instructors have access to special discounts for conferences, grants or special incentive programs for tasks like volunteering that can lead to discounted rates on conference registration. If you haven't explored these, you might look into them.

Dr. Melissa Read

I can relate with everything you wrote. With economy and prices going up on groceries, gas, and just the cost of living, it is hard not to be stressed out. I have found my faith in God has helped a lot with this. I just have to put my problems in His hands and let go and follow what He tells me to do. I always pray for quidance, a positive attitude,and His help before I go into the classrooms.

I have found this course enlightening as well. I have several major illnesses that I must deal with everyday which is exhausting and painful, ever increasing financial strain due to medical issues and spouse out of work, work related stress, increasing pressure from friends and family saying that I don't spend enough time with them, and I run a small business on the side. It's just overwhelming at times. I am struggling with finding ways to cope with all of this and that is why I choose this course.

My personal lack of sleep heightens my stress. I end up with lower energy, become impatient much quicker and a general poorer mood. That's my focus now-fixing it.

If my stress level goes up, my sleeplessness increases and it just becomes a viscious cycle. I try writing things down at home before I go to bed and try to resolve some of the issues before I try to sleep. Still working on that........

Wendy, Optimizing our routines is a process that takes time. Sounds like you have realistic expectations of yourself and that's a great place to start.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment