Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Fear of looking unproductive

I am a pile person and in most cases I am aware of everything that is in my piles; however, I do have a fear of looling unproductive.

Michael, I completely understand where you are coming from. On one hand, 'pile people' are often highly organized and truly do keep great track of things using this system. On the other hand, the piles often look messy to those around them and can communicate the wrong message.

Dr. Melissa Read

I tend to be disorganized when processing high volume paperwork, common in my role. I process the paperwork, paperclip it and store it in my drawer until one of the student workers creates a file for the student’s work. In my eyes, it is organized but I know if anyone opened my drawer they would think I have a messy work station. I usually make time to clean and organize this drawer and cannot stop until all items are organized and often stay in the office longer than I should. I will apply some of the suggestions from this section.

I have my piles too but I know what they are and when they have to be processed. So if it works for you and you are getting your work done on time go for it.

Hi all,

A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind
(I have heard-smile).
I believe that looks can be deceiving when it comes to order. If you know where things are located then you should be fine. However, you do have to contend with any higher ups in your organization who dislike this "unkept" appearance.

Just thinking after reading your post. If 'pile people' are highly organized, then the result should be neatness and not mess in the eyes of others. If I am sitting beside another instructor whose cubicle is messy, books and papers pile up on top of desk, or papers/books on the floor, I sometimes have a feeling of heaviness and difficulty at times trying to focus. A door would certainly help!

Sign In to comment