Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Different forms of grading

In my courses I utilize different forms of grading a student's understanding of the material. In class assignments following a brief lecture allow me to imediately monitor the student's grasp of what has just been discussed.
I also use exams and complicated projects broken down into smaller lab assignments. This way they can pace themselves and see an otherwise large project to the end.

On line courses have weekly papers which take a long time to grade. I like the idea of underlining the important sections or correct answers. I do not know if I can use that method but I do think I can modify the technique to use in the on line classroom.

I too like the underlining idea. With essays I develop a checklist from the rubrics and objectives provided by my online school with the addition of writing mechanics (such as proper citation. The combined method of underlining and a checklist would streamline the process.

Also, I use an editing software program called StyleWriter which checks the writing mechanics and style for me.

I like the underlining idea as well. Although most of my "exams" are of a hands-on nature (cooking).

Our courses are taught with both lecture and lab. The students are tested the day after the lecture with a multiple choice test and then followed by an in lab practical which is also graded. This seems to be a very good way to determine the students comprehension of the material.

Yes, this is an excellent system for determining comprehension Michael. I particularly like the applied aspects of your exams. Testing students in context can really tell us how effective they will be at applying our course material in real world applications.

Sign In to comment