Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interruptions

Hello Everyone,

My desk is in the midst of a busy area between our student cafe and restaurant areas. Even if I come in early, I can't get my work done because I'm constantly interrupted by people walking through and wanting to talk or gossip. I hate to be rude, but even a pleasant "I'm really pressed to complete something important right now--can we schedule some time for later?" gets met with rolling eyes, or they just stand there waiting for me to wear down. I'm not talking about students who have an urgent need--I mean faculty who are bored between classes, administration that thinks their free time is my free time, etc.

Any suggestions?

Working in a high traffic desk is a really tough problem Carolyn. I've seen faculty in your situation occasionally put up signs that say 'door is temporarily closed, please come back during office hours.' These signs are effective in the short term, but to your point, they can also be off putting. If there is a way to request a move to a quiet area, that would probably do the trick. Alternatively, I would recommend bringing your work to a quiet place - like the library. There, conversation isn't supposed to happen and people roll there eyes when you do talk.

As an online instructor, I have the opposite problem - I am alone most of the day at home, and sometimes it is TOO quiet! However, I seem to get just as many interruptions. It seems like the minute I sit down to work, I end up getting a phone call from a student, or a knock at the door, etc. I would like to take the phone off the hook, but I am afraid that if there is an emergency with my family or an urgent call, I may miss it. I can get so distracted by this that I lose momentum and the task doesn't get done, or gets done with mistakes. What should I do?

You can'tgrade papers and listen to the radio. You need ot concentrate on the students work

That sounds tough but is a pretty common problem for online instructors Joanna. One solution is to turn off all but one communication channel - and let your friends and family know to just use that one channel for emergencies only. Another solution is to go to the library and work there instead.

Carolyn,

I, too, work in an environment that is subject to many interruptions. Somedays, it's almost constant.

One thing I've been able to do is take advantage of "home alone" time, where I often accomplish some of the more time-consuming tasks like grading papers or assembling materials for lesson plans.

Even with all that, I still find myself being drawn in to interruptions. I think sometimes I actually welcome the distractions, and allow myself to be taken away from the task at hand. I've met people who are very good at saying, "Not right now," or, "Please wait a bit." I am trying to be more like that.

Carolyn,

I have seen instructors in high traffic areas and they have the same problems you have discussed. I would recommend putting on earphones even if you are not listening to any music as it shows you are concentrating on what you are working on. People may be less apt to intrupt if you are working and "listening" to something. And if they do intrupt you can say politely, "I would love to chat, but I need to get this work completed. Can we talk later?"
Hope this helps.

Carolyn,

Perhaps a good strategy would be to invite and engage the peers that are around your desk with some of your paperwork. This will assist you in several ways. First, you will realize who really is helpful and who is not. Second, they will realize that if they stop at your desk they will have to work! This will diminish the traffic on your area
I hope this helps
Marcelo

Sign In to comment