Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Fears

I teach math, and one of the challenges I have is to get students that have a fear of the subject to actually try!  There is a real fear that prevents them from putting pencil to paper.  I as an teacher have to somehow get the students beyond those fears and it can be tough!  

I don't teach math, however, pharmacology requires performing basic dosage calculations which is in fact very challenging due to fear the students have for numbers.

The challenge, although difficult can be rewarding when in fact that practice does make perfect.  When math is your least favorite subject, it is imperative that we continue to give math problems and work them through together so the student is comfortable with the subject.  Yes, Pharmacology is a tough subject and you need to have those dose calcs down.  On days when you are super busy, a colleague to double check your calcs can be a matter of life and death for patients who are receiving that medication especially if intravenously.  Keep your Apples and Oranges separate and know your conversions/formulas when dealing with dose calcs.  Always, double check pharmacy and what it is that has been given to you to give to your patients.  In the end, you are liable if an error or sentinel event occurs.  Gotta Love Math....

When it comes to the math for phyics I start out by asking the class, "Who in here can not do math?" Completely aware of course they had to pass the math portion of an entrance exam to get into the school. When the hands shoot up, I just prove them wrong. "2 + 2=? 2 X 2=? A + B= C. If A=2 and B=2 C=?"  As they answer the questions with ease, I will say, "So you can do math after all." Then they usually will say, "Yeah, but thats easy stuff. Thats not physics." I just smile and say "Really?" as I write a formula on the board and give them the variables. They all punch the numbers into the calculator and give the right answer. I then inform them that they just did a physics problem and there is no more BS about not being able to do math and cant do physics as I start teaching them why we are doing this, what am I catually trying to find, what information do I need to gather in order to find it, and where that information belongs in the formula. After doing alot of practice, those that really try start to get it, those that don't want to do it will keep finding excuses.  Some of them try to convince me that not liking to do math is the same as not being able to do math.  I just chuckle.  Good Luck, Everyone!

Sign In to comment