Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Advising and personalizing delivery

I've found that adult students really crave that personal attention from an instructor who really wants to help them succeed. Succeeding to an adult student is typically not an abstract concept like it may be to a traditional college student, adult learners want to know how the material will directly impact what they'll be doing in the work place. An instructor who ties real world scenarios to the concepts being taught in class is much more valuable to the adult learner. The bottom line is knowing the needs of your customer and then delivering on those needs, they're paying a lot of money to take the classes so making the learning practical is typically what they want.

Hi Brian,
I concur! Students really do want material that they can benefit from in the workplace.

Patricia Scales

I find that students relate to me and the courses better if they can share something about their own personal experiences about a topic- they feel that they have contributed something- I often ask students to tell the rest of the class one personal thing they want to share- this helps me with engaging students in discussion if I know of some of their personal experiences.

Hi Jean,
Students really feel more at ease when they feel they have a rapport with the instructor. Students need to know that we really care about their success.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment