Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Adult Learners

Sometimes upon ones' own personal reflection, I ask how will this subject or topic relate to a specific profession, i.e. Physics to become a Radiographer. Upon being advised by a career services representative and/or the instructor, they can provide an informed reasoning as for its application to that specific profession or subject. As an instructor, it is my duty to fully inform my students as to the relevance of any subjects/topics in order to make the student more informed. This is just one of many techniques such as becoming a better listener and providing insightfull verbal/nonverbal cues.

Hi Kerry,
When students can make the connection how the course applies to the real word, they have more of interest in the course, and they are excited about learning.

Patricia Scales

As a math teacher, I also try to state places where math might be used in their fields of study. I find that students can still get frustrated because there are some parts of the course that are not directly applicable to them. I try to mention critical thinking skills, technical reading and following instructions, but those don't seem concrete enough for some students.

Hi Chad,
You may want to get with other colleagues to find out if they have more concrete ideas as to why students need to know a particular concept.

Patricia Scales

I teach on the "other side" where I always try and relate general education objectives to the specialized, career oriented material I am presenting. With adult learners sometimes they have a great deal of anxiety about attempting something, like math, that they haven't really focused on for some time. I also believe it is important that students understand how all of the pieces of their education fit together to get them to the career goals they are trying to reach.

Hi Lee,
We have to help our students put the pieces of the puzzle together so that they understand why and that they are making processing to the ultimate goal.

Patricia Scales

An adult learner doesn't have the time to waste on courses that aren't going to help them in the real world. You must grab them right out of the gate and show them the value in what you are putting forth as the instructor. You are right, get them interested, and they want to learn and even more important want to be there. This not only helps them, but helps retention.

If I can move the adult learner from a pedagogical mindset/learning habit, to an androgogical learning environment there is a greater sense of security in control for the learner. This can be challenging if the students try to fulfill their needs as adult learners but can't divorce themselves from outgrown learning methods.

Hi Jon-Paul,
Sometimes with adults you have to make them believe that they are still able to learn, thus do well in school.

Patricia Scales

I think you are right about encourging adults that they have the ability to learn. They need the motivated from the very start.

Hi Sandra,

I have also noticed that adult learners need motivation through out their program as well.

Patricia Scales

I explain how learning the content of the class will help the students on the job in the automotive field. Our lab stations are examples of real life work concerns the students have to diagnose on real vehicles. Explaining how and why the repair needs to be diagnosed and fixed correctly is a plus. Labs tie the classroom lectures and real life expectations together.

Hi Charles,
I agree! Real learning takes place in the lab, certainly the student must get the theory before going into the lab, but the lab really tells whether the student has grasped the concept.

Patricia Scales

If the instructor is not motivated and not wanting to instruct why even go to class. It is crucial that the instructor feeds their students the inner drive to want to achieve for what they really want. I have seen students faces light up when I would say, you can have whatever you want. But you have to achieve what you want. You can have it though. Knowing that you can ACHIEVE is exciting and creating that excitement in the classroom starts from the instructor.

Hi Kenneth,
You got me excited just by reading your response! I can tell you are your students biggest cheerleader. Continue to encourage your students. Our students need all the encouragement they can get.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment