Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Simply being a very good instructor will most likely provide...

... your students with:

The correct answer according to the quiz is B. Intrinsic.

I disagree. I believe it's both. As we learned, most external motivators are: instructor's emphasis on the relevance of a lesson, helpful/supportive feedback, extra-curriculum activities, grades, prizes and handshakes, all provided by the instructor.
Therefore, why doesn't "simply being a very good instructor" provide both?

Nadine,
I see your point. However, I think that what they are saying is that if the instructor is good, he/she can make the student feel more motivated to learn. This motivation is coming from within the student seeminly without any outside motivation (from the instructor.

This is my guess.

I feel like the motivation comes from so many aspects. The student, the instructor, the institution. To be motivated is a great thing and the motivation to inspire others is a great quality to posses.

To begin the process of motivating a student, the instructors themselves must be enthusiastic about the given subject. There must be an element of excitement regarding the process and the outcome.

I agree! Motivation is a great quality to posses, but also to me motivation is contagious. When you experience positive people, places or things it inspires you to become more positive. So, as an instructor I try not to just be happy and teach with a smile, but get the students invovled in positive ways, therefore creating motivation!

Your students with:
excitement and knowledge of the subject and keep them motivated to want to know more. I keep things exciting and interesting in my medical classes so the students are "turned on" to the human body and begging for more knowledge of how and why it works the way it does.

I agree with kim and nadine. While we *hope* that our students will develop a passion for the subject that we have, them having lots of opportunity to earning a high grade is extrinsic rewards.

During graduation, each student receives a pin and a few of my students had asked me to "pin them”.I asked a couple students in the past why me and not a family member; and the response I got is that it is the best way they can express their gratitude for everything that I did in trying to “make them better nurses of the future”. We had our school graduation a few weeks ago and one of my students again asked if I can do the honor of “pinning “her. When the ceremony had ended, she introduced me to her husband by saying “this is my instructor who inspired me and is my role model”.
I always consider it a great honor when a student asked me to participate on their graduation knowing that their family is there too; but to be introduced as an inspiration gives me the greatest honor. Being a good instructor is a lot more than being a motivator, a cheer leader, a positive influence rather it is everything including some disappointments fainted on our face when their grades are not what you all expected. Life in the real world is not all positive and motivating and no matter how we try there will be times when we instructors will show disappointments. It is during those times that some of the best lessons can be taught. These are the times that a good instructor can transcend into being a role model.

sheryl, instructors that lead by example and energize students tend to achieve their desired learning outcomes.

James Jackson

Kathleen, what techniques can you share that get your students excited about the subject matter you are providing?

James Jackson

elsie, the best instructors know hoe to recognize and take advantage of those teachable moments. You also describe the importance of being a great guide for your students.

James Jackson

Hi Tshia. I agree with your statement on motivation, as well as your statement on spreading positivity. I believe that positively motivating students creates a more beneficial and effective environment and classroom. Even in disciplining students for any type of violation, some type of negativity comes with that discipline. That is why I try to keep that negativity away from the rest of the class by speaking to the student individually, so that the positive and encouraging environment is maintained.

I also make myself available to students with personal problems that affect their academics. I try to help them through and or try to just make me aware of what is detracting from their grades. Dennis

Dennis, showing students you care can make a big difference. They need to take ownership of their education but you as the instructor need to model the way and guide them to a level of understanding they need to move beyond their personal issues. Just knowing their education can eventually remove them from many of their personal problems can be motivation enough.

James Jackson

Sign In to comment