Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

fostering a secure relationship with students

I generally have small classes where it's easy to get to know the students fairly well. I can generally tell when a student is having issues with something and address it before it escalates. I am expecting to have a larger class next semester, however, and I'm wondering how I manage to maintain that same intuitive type of relationship with the students in a larger class environment.

I generally spend a good amount of time in the beginning of each term with each class conducting "getting to know you" activities. That's when the path for security is paved. I have my students to develop a powerpoint presentation, called "Tools of Me", of about ten slides showcasing the most important aspects of who they are as an individual. Before the students present, I tell the class that their undivided attention is expected, and that in the case that it is not given it will reflect in their work ethic grades. I also have anyone who is sitting too far back to move up. I make a big deal about the presentations. I make sure I take something away from every students' presentation so he/she knows that I am interested in him/her as an individual. It is a good thing to implement "getting to know you" activities in the beginning.

ITS ALWAYS NICETO COMMUNICATE WITH STUDENTS BUT REMEBER NEVER GET TO PERSONAL

"Tools of Me" is a great idea. I have tried that in week one with new students, but I have found that many of them have never learned computer skills (which is fine because they also have a computer class in their first module). So, I have adjusted that into "Ice Breakers" groups. We actually will change groups weekly so they get to know each other and I can identify who is Ex- or In- trinsic. A couple of the activites are identifying common ground with learning styles, "challenges" you have or are currently facing and cultural diversity groups. It is a fantastic way to pave the student-student or student-instructor relationship.

At the beginning of every class I address each student individually by simply asking them, "how are you today" Some of the answers maybe the common, "good, thank you" but I also get true answers as well. These "true" answers help me identify issues that may or may not interfere with their learning process.

amy, I like your intentions here. Are there any other techniques you use to get students to be honest in their responses? I have found that if you just take one simple step of asking them to be honest and talks about the good, bad and even ugly you as the instructor can better assist them.

James Jackson

As an adviser, it's my job to get involved in the personal aspect of my students' lives. It gives me a great opportunity to remind them of the intrinsic motivators that they had when they started taking classes. When they call and tell me that they are thinking of withdrawing, I can remind them that their 2 daughters Suzie and Sally are watching and how important it was to them that the girls see their mother succeed. Things like that have saved more than a few students.

Ashley, what type of relationships to you build with your admissions team to gain additional insight into the motivations of your students? Thanks for anything you can share.

James Jackson

I manage a great amount of students daily in my job where I get to know them from first day of class to graduate status. I get to know my students behaviors likes and dislikes and what is going to motivate them. Encountering with my students, I explain how important it is to be responsible, accountable and prepare both in school and work force. I use some of my previous work experience examples to relate in what they are going through and how to solve problems. I gain the trust with my students by listening to them, reward them and provide constructive feedback asa they all know I want the best for them. It is always nice to see my graduates come back to say thank you for all the guidance and caring I give to them.

Mary, sounds like a great environment and rare you have so much contact with students from start to finish. I would like to hear from others with respect to the amount of time they have to build relationships with their students.

James Jackson

Sign In to comment