Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

•Create a non-threatening environment

To create a non-threatening environment, I have placed all the tables and chairs in my classroom in a horseshoe configuration. As I walk around in the middle of them, everyone is equally envolved and I like to think I have their undevided attention.

Awesome setup Timothy. The physical setup of a classroom can have a significant impact on the learning environment. Different classroom orientations are needed for various forms of classroom delivery and some lend themselves to different topics than others. I have always liked the horseshoe configuration as it fits with so many different types of subject matters and learning environments. I also like this configuration for computer related classes when the classroom size can allow for this arrangement. I like the ability to focus the attention of the students to the center of the horseshoe but also like the ability to walk around the back and see what is on their computer screens. If the desks are easy to move, this arrangement also is great for fast setup into small group discussions.

Regards,

James Jackson

I create a non-threatening classroom environment by not addressing questions to specific students, but to the class at large.

I do this by telling them on the very first day, after going over the institution and academic rules I then stop and emphasize: "I have one very important rule. In this classroom we will discuss a lot of very interesting and often complicated issues. You will not always agree with your classmate or me, but thier opinion is just as important to them. So in this classroom we will ALWAYS practice tollerance and support for one another."

Timothy, classroom configuration can play a major role in teaching and learning. The more students feel they are in an active learning environment the more they will feel a desire to participate. You sill have to create a safe learning environment but seating configuration can play a role.

Regards,

James Jackson

That is a great idea. I will try to implement it in my class and see what happens

I often pose questions to the entire class, but when I see a student has a 'glazed' look or is not paying attention I will address the question directly to the student. This brings the student mentally back into the classroom.

Some students want to sit in the front rows, and some prefer the back rows. I call them "back benchers" (in reference to the British Parliament's seating arrangement). A horseshoe configuration, or 'U' shape would resolve this issue

Amjad, great technique and one I use often. Thanks for sharing.

James Jackson

Amjad, a horseshoe seating configuration is great when your room size can accommodate.

James Jackson

That's a great idea. I too have arranged my classroom in this way before and also have come into the room telling them a funny story or joke that has to do with something that is common to them or the lesson that will be covered for that particular day. It puts the students at ease and they don't mind participating.

Sign In to comment