Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Feedback

Today more and more 18-20 olds are entering the career college learning environment. some come directly from the high school environment, and we as instructors must illustrate to them that they can succeed even though they don't possess life experiences, that the nontraditional students and others in the class have.

How do you motivate and give feed back to your 18-20 year old students?

Vernise

Vernise,
One of the most effective strategies I use is to have recent graduates come in a speak to my 18-20 students about the value of the content that is being shared. These graduates help to get the students to realize that their high school behavior and mentality will no longer be accepted in a post secondary setting. I tell them all of this at the first class meeting but they don't listen as well as when a graduate tells them that they have to learn what is being taught if they want a job and a career. Doesn't always work but in most cases it helps a lot with their attitude.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Once these students have introduced themselves I approach them as the authority figure that they will become. How they communicate and care for an individual will help them succeed in what they do as well instill confidence in what they know. I approach them as adults that have to learn the meaning of service.

Carlos,
This is a very important part of their career development. They need to learn about the soft skills of career development as well and this is where the meaning of service comes in. If they don't get this concept their technical skills are not going to be of much value.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment