Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pop Culture

I have found that my knowledge of pop culture helps me to break down barriers and form relationships with my students. I use it to engage all of my students, and also to bridge the age and experience gaps. While not every person in class gets all of my references (I utilize both current and classic pop culture references), I am assured that some of the students will get some of the references. I have used this to get some students out of their shells, and to join in discussions that they may have otherwise avoided.

I totally agree. It's also okay with me when I may be laughed at when I show my age with my references. :) They have to do some explaining of theirs as well at times.:)

Heather,
Your comments made me smile because it is a two way street for sure when it comes to sharing examples and generational references.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is always interesting to get the older students and the younger students discussing the differences in their age groups. The topics can range from athletes to music to movies. They always listen to each other and even make fun of each other. They learn about each others way of seeing things and are more readily acceptable of each other. Plus for me as the instructor, it is pure entertainment.

Darryl,
I agree with you about the entertainment factor when it comes to different generations of learners. When they are going their small group work I move around the class and I get to hear some very interesting discussions in relation to the differences that are represented in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment