Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student retention

To maximize student retention instructos should be aware of the class dynamics and keep students involved in the learning process. Tie learning task to daily events and make students believe they have input in to the process.

Oscar,
Good strategy to follow as it keeps a connection with the students and if they are having challenges, these challenges can be addressed and this will help keep the students in school and moving forward in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Hi Oscar,
I've tried to do similar things within the students Discussion Board (which I must monitor as well as participate in.) I find that student do not response at all to my various links I provide but would rather give a short answer that is reworded from all of the other 'responses' that pertain to the topic. I can not figure out if students are actually reading the posts of the daily events or breezing over them? To entice students, I have been offer Extra Credit in their Discussion Boards. I usually end up with 5-6 out of 25 students that take advantage. of course, those 5-6 students are the ones that do not need the Extra Credit.

I know it sounds silly, but I like to play different versions of the "hump day" song on Wednesdays. The students always laugh and it gives me a good time to check in with students and ask them how their week is going. I like to understand what they are facing. I work with a lot of non traditional students and when they feel they belong it really helps build the retention. I also call them if they miss school to find out what is wrong and when they will be returning. I like to let them know they are missed and part of a community in the classroom.

Cynthia,
Like your style. I do this as well and my students won't let me get by without playing the "Hump Day Camel Commercial" even though they see it every week it stills gets a laugh and when it is done they know it is time to start the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Class dynamic is very important in creating a healthy learning environment. Doing well on tests and assignments helps the instructor know if the students are retaining information and applying themselves.

Sign In to comment