Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Warm connection

Learning the student names shows the respect you have for them and for the identity they carry through their names. This helps you to develop rapport with your students and get the course off to a good start.

I have found through my experience that students do respond better if you work on learning their names. You must careful not to become too close to the students, Its an easy thing to do. Its a hard line to see.

Sherrie,
Good point. We instructors need to make sure we maintain that balance between student support and becoming a buddy to them. We are their learning leaders and as a result we need to always keep in mind how are interactions with students are going to be received.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I always try to learn the students' names and faces the first day of class. This helps the student know they are important as individuals. I had a student comment that they love this school because everyone knows every student's name.

Holly,
Personalizing education is an important part of what we do. You are doing such with your learning of student names right from the beginning of class and it builds from there. Great work on getting your students to see how much you value them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment