Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student retention

I understand the financial importance to a school to maintain good retention of students, but when a student is so openly negative, even hostile, to the entire learning environment, I feel we are not fair to the other students to continue to "retain" one disgruntled student. Where do we draw the line?

Mabel,
I am a bit hard line on this and I will dismiss such a student once I have done everything I can to change the behavior. I will NOT let one student disrupt the learning of others. Everybody paid the same amount of money to be in the class so each one deserves quality uninterrupted instruction.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Dr. Meers, I commend your position in this matter. I find it very difficult to focus on all the students when there is a repeat offender of disruption.

Sandra,
Thank you. I wish you success in dealing with situations like this. Seems like there are more of them all the time. One of the challenges of our profession.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Disruptive students should be referred to students services immediately for academic counseling. Disruptive students should not be admitted in the classrooms till we determine the cause of disruption, because students observe each other, if we don’t take strict actions right away that mean we are inviting other students to do the same things. Disruptive behavior in the class room should not be tolerated at any times. It is beneficiary for all other students those who willing to learn.

ATUL,
Well said and right on point. We have to make sure we have a supportive and positive learning environment for all students.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I completely agree with you. Having just one disruptive student can set the stage for the rest of the class. I've seen it happen. Eventually it becomes a class problem, not just one student problem. Disruptive behavior should not be allowed in the classroom and when we look for support the support should be there. I find that somsetimes the appeal system fails the instructors. We are the one spending the quality time with these students so our say in the students outcome should be highly looked at.

I concur. I had a student who was always late to class, when she came, and missed the first test, all before the final drop.

I talked to her a couple of times. She told, and I had to believe her, that it is was her work schedule (this was a night class).

I strongly recommended she drop the class before I was forced to give her a grade, and so she could at least get some of her money back.

I wished her well and she did take my advice. I never heard from her again. But it was the right thing to do I believe.

Angelia,
I agree and this is why I want to know my administrations position on handling such situations. When I don't have their support I move to another setting because if they won't support me on handling disruptive students it is likely they won't support me on other issues in the future.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Douglas,
I have given similar advice to students so they know they have an out. Some have left and come back and others never return but for those that never return I know they know that they are welcome to return rather than having a negative feeling about returning. So maybe they will enroll in a future program and achieve career success.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I have found in some cases these students are holding a grudge against the school, faculty or even another student. Oftentimes they just need someone to listen to their story with compasion and understanding of their viewpoint.

David,
Listening can be a valuable tool for developing rapport with students. Once you have listened then you can refocus the student back to his/her career goals and how this course can help them achieve such goals.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment