Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Field Trips

Field trips are fun for students.

Field trips are not only fun for the students but it helps reinforce material that has been presented. Since there are different learning styles, field trips offers a learning method for those that need to see, hear and then apply to their skill.

Field trips should serve a purpose relating to their field

Field trips are not only fun for students, but they provide a solid foundation for the learning environment that is applicable for the real-world experience. This is exciting and instructional for young learners, but is especially crucial for adult learners.

Field trips is something that all my students simply love to do. The attendance is very high and the students usually bring their kids and other family members. Of course the trips are coupled with specific assignments and I have noticed that the scores that the students earn is higher that the in-class assignments' scores.

Petya,
Thank you for sharing your results from the field trips your students take. This has been my experience as well. They really like them and they are great motivators since the students get to see the world in which they will be working if they put forth the effort required to be successful.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Not only are they fun ,they also reinforce some of the teachings they have learned.It also gives the student a small taste of what their career is gonna be like

Field trips are a great way to get the student out in the field before they leave for externship. We took our Medical Assistant class to a volunteer only Medical clinic. They were able to check in patients, use some new skills have a tour and volunteer in the food pantry passing food to the homeless and needy while the others had their turn touring and checking in patients.

The students enjoyed their time working the clinic and working the food pantry and hearing the stories from the families in need. Some were interested in returning after they graduated to use their new skills. One said she found her purpose for wanting to be a Medical Assistant. I have watched her stuggle, and question if this was the right career for her. She now knows it is.

Beth,
I am a big fan of field trips and guest speakers because both make the course content real for the students. They see the value of what you are trying to teach them and this value translates into application and relevancy. A win win for everyone.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment