Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

how much rewarding should be done?

many of my students feel that i'm am rather a stickler to rules. i feel that a structured environment is conducive to the learning process. i rarely if ever have a class luncheon at the end of our semesters. i try to utilize as much of the classroom time that i possibly can for the students to receive and learn information that will enable them to succeed in the career chosen. i'm my hardest critic in that if the students don't get what they want once they graduate i blame myself for that failure,if you will. so how much should i lighten up and reward the students?

Hi Gilbert,
You have to use your own judgment and comfort with social events in your classes. There really aren't guides for such things. If you do not like them or do not feel comfortable with them I would not have them. I like to use them because even though I do take some time away from the direct instructional process I find my students have refocused their attention back on to the course after a brief break away while they had snacks or a luncheon. I don't do this all the time because then the even loses it effectiveness. I want the social to be something they look forward to and want to enjoy so they will be ready to go back to work when it is needed.
Gary

I agree wholeheartedly. It should be the learning as the "thing" the student looks forward to and not the social event.

Patrick

Helping the students abtain the grade is the reward for the student.Because your involvment with the student is in class on an asignment shows you care to see the sucsess should by human nature give the student the motivation to reap there reward.

Sign In to comment