Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Nontraditional students are more motivated

Older students have more financial burdens and must work harder than traditional students in order to support their family

I agree with you that older students work harder. I dont agree that it is because of a finacial burden I feel they apply themselves more because they have a better sense of where they want to go in life.

Hi Jared,
Thank you for the good comments about career mature students. Most of my students are in the programs due to plant closings or downsizing so they are really pressed financially to complete their training ASAP so they can get back to a similar salary as they had before.
For the career redirection students then it is because they have chosen to step out of what they have been doing and step into a new career. In either case their life experiences really help to bring diversity to the class.
Gary

Older students can't really afford wasting time and money. Some are trying to stay competitive within the field they are in. Like they say time is money!

I also agree that older students work harder than the traditional students, but I feel as though it is because they respect education and are more mature. The non-traditional students tend to want to be here. They are very motivated to succeed. I'm not sure financial burdens have much to do with working harder, just more dedicated to success.

Hi LaDonna,
Well said concerning non-traditional or career mature students. For a variety of reasons they are enrolled in the class and they want to get something out of it and keep their career development going forward.
Gary

I think it's really important to remember that there aren't too many successful overarching assumptions that will hold true for all students of any level or age. We as instructors can't know at all what brings someone to the classroom or what keeps them there. And if we assume, we are bound to be incorrect. I think it's important to encourage the students to share why they're there, so that we all know we're on the same page.

Hi Corrine,
Good advice for all. We, as educators must constantly be looking at the "whys" of what brings students to our classes. That way we can customize our delivery and content to meet the individual needs of the students.
Gary

I agree that in many cases, older students do better than younger students. I can relate this to my days as a student, because when I was a young undergrad, I was a bad student - I never went to class. I sailed by for a semester or two, and then, when I really needed to know material that I didn't know, I failed. Eventually, I got smart and started going to class more, but I was never as motivated as I was when I was older. About 10 years ago, I went back to grad school, and never missed a class if I could help it. I studied and did the homework, and generally worked harder. It was much more important to me to succeed then.

I think that older students entering the classroom after years of not being a student often feel uncomfortable or insecure, but then realize that they can do this work! It's much easier the second time around, even with family, outside work and other pressures, because one knows one has to do the work to succeed, and sets aside the time to study and do homework.

Hi Sarah,
You make a number of excellent points about the motivation of older students. They generally have very specific goals in mind and are ready to do the work it takes to develop their career skills. As you say once they realize they can do the work and will be successful they are on their way.
Gary

I agree Jared. Once you personally have the financial responsibility of your education, you tend to take your school work more serious. I had to pay (and are still paying for) my graduate studies, and since the bill was on me, I certainly strived for the better grade always. Thanks, Elisabeth

The nontraditional student runs the gambit of young adults with small children trying to better their livelihood to middle age students who need to have a career change. All of these students need and get the encouragement from me for adding continuing education to their already busy lives.

I have had two experiences as a college student, once right out of high school and approximately 8 years later having dropped out the first time. When I returned to get my education, I had a greater appreciation for my education and the learning process. It was more difficult the second time because of personal obligations, but it also gave me great motivation to be successful the second time.

Hi Karla,
Thanks for giving some inspiration to why students that come back to school later on in life are so motivated and ready to learn.
Gary

I would have to say that I enjoy the older student more than the younger student. Younger students tend to be more eaily distracted by technology: cell phones, ipods, etc. Older students are much more focused and I believe someone else on this message board said that older students take classes more seriously. I definitely did as a graduate student and even now in the pursuit of my doctorate! Older students are more aware of their time and money management and school definitely effects both. I actually began teaching with older students or rather non-traditional students. They were very focused, attended all classes and participated more than the traditional students. They are dramatically different!

It is important to be aware of all students personal situations but not involved. You have to recognise when someone has outside influences and is struggling.

I am also in agreement that the older student tends to perform better in the classroom. Until I saw this topic I hadn't given it much thought but retention of the older students is much higher than the younger students also. It is unusual that I have an older student decide that they want to withdraw from the program. If they do it is generally because of issues outside the classroom not because of their performance in class. They are more sure of the decision they made to come to school and rarely change their mind. Whereas the younger students decide half way through that it wasn't what they thought it would be or they were only coming in the first place for lack of a better choice.

Sign In to comment