Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student retention in the last course

I have students who after completing over half the program, just simply stop attending school. Some of the reasons I've heard is the courses are becoming more difficult and more work is required. They are also struggling with family issues. I think it is sad for a student to come so far to drop out.

Hi Patricia,
I agree with you, it is sad. It becomes hard to understand why they have worked so hard for so long just to dump it or drop out half way through.
I always try and encourage the students to stay in school but if they drop out I try to get them to leave with a positive feeling toward the school. This way they know they have a friendly face and an encouraging site waiting for them should they decide to return. The good news is that many of them do.
Gary

Hello,
Do you think sometimes that they do not put the same value on the education towards a career goal that we do since we know what is out in the world waiting for them? I think a lot of them have situations happen in their lives that they percieve as large and we sometimes percieve as small in relation to our experience.

Hi Steve,
Good point. Maturity is a real factor is career success. When I have career mature students that are in need of skill training to restart their lives they are focused and ready to go. Many of my 18-24 year olds are still in the process of trying to figure life out when it comes to career training.
Finding a way to work through happenings in their lives and keep focused on their career goals is always a challenge for these folks. This is where rapport with the students and encouragement can be of great help to the students.
Gary

I agree it is sad to see someone drop out after they have come so far. Along with family, work issues seem to play a big part in their decision to leave too.
I agree with Steve and his point about students perceptions. I think some students have a hard time with priorities becasue they are not as aware of what awaits them on down the road.

I agree with you Patricia.Sometimes there are external issues that are beyond an instructor's control. I always call my students who are dropping out and let them know that it was nice to have them in my class room and encourage them to continue their education and offer them support to return back next quarter.

I also agree but are a little unsure of how to improve the retension. Does anyone have some best pratices they can share.

Hi Jeffrey,
There is no magic solution to this problem. There are a number of strategies that help. The first two are respect and rapport. If the students see they are respected they will send respect back. If you develop rapport with them they will stay engaged more as well. The key thing is for the instructor to have an understanding of their situation and how life outside of class impacts their success. This does not mean you dismiss class requirements but you have an understanding of what is causing them some concern and maybe even dropping out.
Also, if they should leave make sure they know they have a welcome waiting them if they come back and that they are leaving on friendly terms so they will feel comfortable in coming back.
Gary

I definitely think this is the case. Students today are out for a quick fix. They expect school to fit into their lives rather than making it a priority and seeing it as bettering themselves.

I have found by setting high expectations of them and letting them know I am helping them to be the type paralegal I would want working for me, I get better results.

Hi Vipan,
You hit on a common problem in career preparation today. Many students want the skill sets without investing the effort and time to get them. They don't appreciate how hard you worked for the skills you have and that is the reason you are in a position to teach them. You have something to offer and are willing to help them acquire those skills. Once they get the concept that hard work will result in progress and success their careers will start to develop.
We as educators need to constantly be working on this attitude development.
Gary

we have the same issues but after finding out about thir personal responsibilites it very hard not ampathies with them

encouraging them to come back and finish the course if it possible so they will have carrier for their future

Hi Nirmala,
An understanding of some of the issues with which your students are struggling does help you understand their situation. With the understanding you can see where they might struggle with upcoming topics. This will help you prepare for these learning challenges.
Gary

Some factors that cause loss of retention is not just in the last few courses, but the first few. A lot of our students are from out of the area and have to establish housing, part-time work, etc. They are the ones we find most at risk. We have a vigorous full and part-time employment department as well as a full time housing consultant. It is our goal to get the student housed economically (room-mates) and gainfully employed within the first three weeks so they will not have the stress these factors can bring to them.The students usually bring a nest egg of $1500 with them and if they run out of money before they can find a job, the urge to quit and go back home rears it's ugly head.

Sign In to comment