Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

non-verbal students

How do I engage non-verbal, extremely shy students to participate in open classroom discussions?

Hi Michele,
I use student panels. I give a topic to a learning group (usually 4-5 students) and have each one present a 3 minute mini-lecture. This way each student has to speak but is backed up the other group members. By having them all setting up front, the shy student has someone watching his/her back if you will, while taking comfort in the fact they are not alone. Plus, they know they only have to speak for a limited amount of time. This method works very well and is not too stressful for the student.
Gary

I will ask them to write and turn in same time or after the class. At least it will start something.

Gary
Do you feel as though the hearing impaired students should be 100% dependent on an interpreter? I have only ever had 3, and 1 out of the 3 would not even attempt to be in the classroom without her interpreter. I tried to encourage her on more than one occasion, she felt that her attempts would be futile.
On the last day of class she came over to me and thank me, it was the first time she ever spoke to me, I told her she sounded wonderful, and I wish she would have spoken during class.

Hi Teri,
This is a tough one to answer. It all depends upon the individual with the hearing impairment. As I have worked with many of these individuals I have found that depending upon when they lost all or part of their hearing has a role to play in their participating in class as well as the type of hearing support they use. If they use some for of hearing aide then they generally respond more frequently.
If they use an interpreter solely they often are not as willing to speak in class. To find out how I can best help them be a full participant in class I set down with them and we talk about how they want to participate. I find that just by talking with them I can get them much more involved in the class. Also, all students are a bit shy about contributing to a class as an adult and add the additional issue of communication you find that they will use the interpreter more due to their uncertainty.
I will be glad to talk with you further about this subject if you wish. My experience has been great in working with these students once I have an understanding of how I best can support them.
Gary

Sign In to comment