Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As instructors, what advice would you give to an administrator about approaching retention issues with instructors?

I am an administrator and an instructor so I understand the challenges of dealing with some students, but what the students need is for the instructors/adminstrative staff to understand how important their demeanor -- their body language and tone of voice are in managing a positive, productive class.

It is not enough to do a great job teaching. The students have to want to attend a class and some teachers can be so intimidating that the confidence of the student is eroded.

The student then does not wish to attend a class like that and then finally, the student may decide to withdraw.

These issues have been discussed as a result of student evaluations of staff members. There has been some improvement, but not enough.

Hi Joyce,
You make a number of very good points about faculty behavior. Instructors need to develop two things with their students, respect and rapport. As you say teaching is only part of instruction. Hopefully you can get these faculty members to relax and so their human side a bit. This will go a long way in helping them gain the respect of their students. This is why teachers need to review ever so often the 3 M model of teachers as models, managers and motivators. This will help to keep the students in the program and the teachers will enjoy their work more. Teaching is not the place to be if you don't have patience and don't like people, but we all know that already, we just have to remind folks of this ever so often.
Gary

the information is well orginized and clear

I would have the administrator explain to the instructors the importance of retention. I also would let them know the main reason why retention is currently low. For example if the reason is attendance. I would have the instructor explain to the student that coming to school on time and every day is very important, if u wish to graduate.

This may seem a obvious answer but programs such as this one may help some instructors to see themselves and expand their thinking. In the setting I am with we have the students to fill out a evaluation on a daily basis. They are not handeled by the instructors so students feel they are "safe". The administrators review them daily. Feedback is given to the instrutors. In many times I have found helpful information contained in the comments both negative and positive.

I would advise the administration to ask for feedback from the instructors regarding the programs the individual instructors teach. The more admin' knows about any given program, the better chance of matching potential students to the right programs. In doing so, the students are matched to a program that best suits their needs; thus, student retention.

Hi Teresa,
Good points about keeping the administration informed through feedback on how instructors are doing. Another part of this is that when you as an instructor need something for your program if they know you are doing a good job it is easier to get what you requested, since they already know you are doing a good job.
Gary

At our school we live by this. " You must inspect what you expect" Classroom observation are a larg part of our retention strategy. Instructor evaluation sheets can shead some light on areas of concern but to truly understand what could be affecting the student teacher relationship someone needs to be in the class from time to time to provide feedback and coaching to futher develop to the faculty member. We teach our instructors to learn to look at themselves they way their students see them and if they dont like what they see, its time to take a new approach.

Hi Humberto,
Great examples of how feedback is given to instructors and how they can get perspectives on their effectiveness in classrooms. By using a combination of feedback methods the "big picture" of professional development can be given.
Do you help your instructors develop individual professional development plans?
Gary

Gary,
We currently don't. This is somthing we are working on with the CEE. Our team is still relatively new and we are using a less formal approach. Any advice?

Hi Humberto,
I will be glad to help you and your team with this effort. As you move further in the development process with your team contact me and I will be glad to assist you with the format of developing a Professional Development Plan.
Gary

Hi Teresa! I absolutely agree! I believe that giving administration feedback is so important. I also feel that feedback from administration is important also. Although I have found from listening to my students that sometimes retention issues are with administration. As a team we must all participate in student retention and take needs and concerns into condideration. There is always a way to make improvements!

" You must inspect what you expect" I really liked your quote mind if I use it?

Hi Thomas,
We must always be on the look out for sayings and inspiration from others. We we find it then we can use those quotes to keep us focused on the tasks ahead of us.
These quotes also serve our students as well. They can use them to keep motivated when they bog down about midway through the course phase.
Gary

Sign In to comment