Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ESTABLISHING A BASELINE

I feel that instructors need to be able to develop a common baseline between them and the student in order to communicate effectively and reach the student on all levels, once this baseline is established and the student feels comfortable communicating with there instructor , it will be easier for the student and instructor to set realistic goals together to allow the instructor insight for creating the best possible learning enviroment for students.

Establishing a common baseline is great. But a typical class has students with diverse backgrounds and talents. Reaching the goals of the course being taught is also a must. Yes, the instructor must communicate with the individual student but also to groups. He may nee to find the common ground of a group.

Hi Les,
Thank you for your comments about a common baseline. The common baseline is defined as being for the successful completion of the course. The baseline in other words is basis for the course goals. All students must meet these goals in order to progress in their training,as well as be able to succeed as professionals in their field. The course goals have to be set on industrial/business standards as those are the folks we are training our students for. With the diverse backgrounds of the students in mind the instructor is challenged to find common ground for the class and create a learning opportunity for each student. Not an easy job, but a most rewarding one.
The use of team projects and case studies really help to create such a atmosphere.
Gary

Dr. Meers, I saw in your reply to Les Sheldon that you mentioned team projects. I am curious as to what kind of team projects I could come up with in a technical education setting. Do you have any recommendations of possible websites where I might get some ideas?

Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim,
Sorry I don't have any websites to suggest to you. I would offer that I find many of my team projects by looking around the school and the community. I like to bring "live" work to the classroom if I can. If I can't I talk with people in the field and ask them about situations, problems, or needs that I can form into projects. As I have been doing this for a number of years I have been able develop a notebook of projects, and/or case studies that I can use with my classes.
Gary

I would agree that a baseline must be established. At the college level I must establish my authority at the first class. I mus tpresent a clear syllabus with the course goals and requirements clearly defined. The attendance policy is a big one. We, as instructors, establish our own attendance policies and then we must adhere to them. It makes no sense to establish a policy or set of guidelines and then not to follow them.

Hi Terri,
Drawing a line in the sand,is not good if you continue to rub out the line and reset it. Many instructors do this and then wonder why their students either don't follow the procedures or constantly break the rules.
Your comments about setting the baseline and then following it are good. We must follow our own rules if we expect our students to do as well.
Make the requirements reasonable and fair and then enforce them and the classes will go much easier.
Gary

bump

Hi Eddie,
What are the steps you go through to create a baseline for your course? How does this baseline reflect the standards of the field and then translate into course content?
Gary

Hello Sir,

I just wanted to state that I work in a technical field of teaching record production. Since the profession is very involved with all aspects of project management, I find it helpful to create streams of projects/assignments that take the student through the logical steps of achieving the end result as it would be expected in the real world. On top of that, students actually work in teams to complete the project, where they assume certain responsibilities so as to not be redundant in their efforts. The baseline is structured through the goals of the project and related to the students as such.

This differs depending on the course you are teaching but other than the goals for the class, it may be necessary to understand the individual challenges and strengths for each student. Some students core competencies will be different from others. I use this understanding to encourage and reach students and not let them fall into old habits and behaviors. For example, one student might be struggling because of an academic issue that needs addressing and another might be having difficulties because they have a self sabotaging or defeatist belief system. The first student is going to need academic tutoring, the other student may begin to recognize the things within themselves and turn it around once you encourage them to be successful. Each student is different. What makes you exhausted from teaching at the end of the day is that you have not taught to a class but to a group of individuals.

Katherine,
Your last sentence captures the essence of what we do as teachers. Sometimes I think I am teaching kindergarten students that are just taller when I am dealing with some of the issues related to my adult learners. The big think about all of this is that I have the opportunity to impact the lives of many individuals and that is something that I and my fellow teachers should never take lightly. Their success is our legacy.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment