Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Students

I have found when you allow students to share their life experiences with you they feel more respected and in turn are motivated to do well in the course. I believe it is very important to treat each student as the unique individual they are and capitalize on their strengths.

Stacy,
I agree with the sharing aspect. Knowing a bit more about the students and they knowing you know helps to create a connection that is based upon understanding and respect.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I totally agree. I feel that by allowing the student to share their experiences it in turn helps you as an instructor motivate that student, but I also believe it helps in establishing a good rapport.

Kellie,
As you know students really like hearing stories about their career area. They help to motivate the students because they start to see how application can be made to what is being taught.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree with all of you, but as a new teacher, I don't think I got enough of this information from my students in the beginning of our time together. Now that we are 2/3 done with the class, I would like to find a way to incorporate this a little more. Better late than never! How can I do this without it being awkward at this point?

Nicole,
I would give them 3X5 cards and have them write down something they did last weekend that ties into what is being studied. You will be surprised at how much you can learn from this exercise. If you want to take the time and the class isn't too large you can have each student read what they wrote. (Hint, the reason I have them write it down even if I have them talk about it in class is that will often not share if I can them to tell me verbally.) By writing it even the shy students have something to work off of and in the case it is the sentence or two they wrote about their weekend activities and the connection to the class content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Motivation is literally the desire to do whatever it may be. It's really the difference between waking up to come to school and sitting around the house all day. Motivation is the crucial element in setting and attaining goals. According to research you can influence your own levels of motivation and self-control.I always tell the students to figure out what they want, power through the pain period, and start being who they want to be. Most of all they are encouraged to strive, fight and stay positive.

Ethel,
Thank you for these comments about motivation. Motivation is powerful only if it is applied and internalized by an individual. That person must want what ever the outcome of the activity might be, such as passing a course. We need to set the stage for student motivation every opportunity we can.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment