Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Students

How do you motivate a class made up of different age groups and edicational attainements.

Hi Ramon,
By pairing the students up with a balance between the different age groups and educational backgrounds. This way each member of the group can bring something to the class project and learn from each other in addition to developing respect for all the other learners.
Gary

Actually having different age groups is a benefit to the students. The younger students can see that life circumstances change and that new careers may also be in their future. The older students who come in with the attitude that maybe they have forgotten too much and will not be able to keep up with the younger students realize that their life experiences outweigh the time lapse.

I agree. I find that the older students lose their nervousness as soon as they see that the younger students seek their experience and advice.

Hi Michael,
This gives the instructor a very powerful base from which to operate when students that are diverse in age have respect for each other. Then the instructor can develop instructional strategies that play off of the respect.
Gary

Each age group has experiences that they can share with the class. By taking advantage of these expereinces, class members can realize that learning applies to all age groups and educational attainment. They realize that learning is a life long endeavor where the skills obtained in thier various cousres can be applid to thier respective career fields. Each age group has something to offer, and these experiences can be utilized to motivate others to learn.

Hi Charles,
You make a good point about how everyone brings something to the class. This is using the students as resources, and they are. Think of the life experiences we instructors get exposed to by having a 100 or so students each phase. I am always amazed at what I learn from my students each time we meet. This is what makes teaching so much fun.
Gary

My high-school aged daughter visited my classroom and was most impressed by the students' acceptance of diversity. What a change from the behaviors she observed in her high school classrooms. I'd like to say that I facilitated that acceptance but it seemed to happen naturally without any special planning on my part.

Hi Lolita,
Thank you for sharing this great example of how to get all students comfortable in class. Give yourself a lot of credit, even though you don't think you have done anything special to encourage student acceptance you really have. You have created a supportive and comfortable environment that accommodates the unique learning needs of your students. I wish you much success in your teaching.
Gary

That is a good point to remember. How do you try and pair up young with older studetn without looking "obvious"?

Hi Catherine,
One way is to rotate the groups until you have the combinations that you want. This has worked well for me. In other cases I tell the students that is what I am doing so each person can benefit from the exchange of ideas that the other person has to offer. Have had good results with both approaches.
Gary

Everyone in class shares some form of a common goal despite their differences. Try to understand the general consensus per class then focus on using that as a guide for motivation. Every student has a reason to attend, try to understand the common thread and tie the lesson in with it.

I have found by mixing up the students in the class it has made for a very positive work enviroment the student are able to learn more than just the subject from one another the learn life experiences.

Hi Amy,
One of your most valuable resources are your students. By having them share and work together you are expanding the knowledge base. Each of them comes to the class with life experiences that can be shared and used while learning the content and skills of the course.
Gary

I have found that mixing up the group gives a good basis for people to work and think out of the box. They will develop skills and get fresh ideas of the various personalities involved in their class.

This has worked for me!

Yes, I agree with this and many of the other posts here. Many younger and older students find that they share common life experiences in work, family, etc., especially when they are guided and encouraged to group up, communicate and share thier related experiences.

It can be challenging but each group has something to offer the other group. The life experience of the older students is a valuable tool for the teacher and the younger students. It helps the younger students see how some of the material learned is applied in the real world. The younger students bring to the class what is current and happening in computers, entertainment and culture. This helps the older students feel connected and intune to the younger generation.

I like to mix up the group as well. I like to make sure that some students whom always seem to be together have a chance to work with others whom they may not have if not pushed into doing so which from this experience the students are recieveing new feedback and a greater learning experience.

allowing the older students to relate their life experiences to the younger students in how they relate to the course material is is very helpful. It allows all members of the class to feel involved.

Sign In to comment