Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating students with family issues

I find more and more student in my courses are having family and financial issues, which prevents them from attending class. As much as I try to keep them interested,they still fall behind and eventually get to the point of quiting. On the other hand those students who complete assignments on time throughout the course are so motivated, even when faced with obstacles they find ways to overcome them. These are the kind of students who in turn motivate me.

Hi Patricia,
Thank goodness for those students that serve to encourage us instructors. They are the ones that keep us in the classroom and labs doing what we enjoy, teaching.
Gary

I agree with you, but I enjoy dealing with the students that face challenges. I feel a real sense of pride when I am able to help a student see the benefit in taking my course and pressing on through the hard times.

It is hard to assure a student that what they are doing will benefit them in the long run if they are having difficulty in their personal life. I try to be understanding and allow them time to sort things out. That may not always be possible. But another technique is to let them use their situations and apply them to the the course material. This my not always apply, but it will make the information relevant for them.

Hi Quiana,
I like your approach. You are integrating aspects of both the professional development and personal needs of your students into their career development process.
Gary

I have students who break bones, who go to jail, who get raped, who don't have enough to eat, etc.

How can I integrate their personal needs into their career development process?

Pesonally, I try to work around these situations. I give the students extra attention outside of class. I monitor them as best I can.

It would be nice to be able to change these things into something positive. So I am very interested in finding out how to work these things into their career development process.

Hi Stephen,
You hit upon the realities of life as you outlined what has happened to your students. This a the sad part of what we do. The outside influences and problems have much bearing on in class success. As educators we can only be so supportive as we have limited contact with our students at only one point in time. Personal encouragement and support does help in many more ways than we can often count. Continue your support and I know your students will be encouraged by it.
Gary

My class attendance usually suffers for the same reasons as most do. There are a lot of students with personal issues and they are usually the ones who are struggling with being on time, or being here at all. They loose motivation at an accelerated rate. The only thing so far that works for the most part is to speak with them often. They seem to mainly need someone to listen to their struggles, and fears. This isn't always easy, but it seems to help the overall situation and the motivation is back up, even if is appears short lived.

Hi Pam,
You hit upon a very key point for students. Rapport with them. The know you care about their future and their future is based upon their attendance and performance now. Well said.
Gary

Sign In to comment