Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you motivate students that come from working all day from 9am-5pm...

when they are exhausted physically and mentally?
When teaching in the evenings...I find it necessary to give more breaks for coffee and leisure in order to ensure that they maintain their ideal level of attention span for maximum retention.

Hi Emmanuelle,
Teaching in the evenings is always a challenge. I teach all of my courses starting at 4 and running until 10. The students are tired but I see this as my challenge. I do a number of different activities to keep them engaged, moving about and focused on what I am presenting. The feedback on my efforts is good so I feel that I am keeping the students on a learning track during what is normally a down time for them.
Gary

Dr. Meers,

This is a problem I also face: students that work all day and are either fatigued or have not been able to read the material. Usually my classes have a duration of 3-4 hours, depending on the day's lessons.

Many subjects require extensive lecturing, others require extensive laboratory work. Those days that involve practical exercises that involve participation, the class is very eager to keep up; unfortunately, days that require a lecture might seem neverending for some and I need to control the pace with care.

I would like to explore other means of constantly being able to keep my students on track despite of their fatigue from daily routine.

I may imagine the context for the type of activities you conduct to keep your students motivated while they are tired might vary among the different subjects we teach; nevertheless, I would like you to exemplify more specifically some of the approaches you take to meet this challenge.

Is there any particular advice you can provide for me? :)

Thank you,

Carlos

Hi Carolos,
As I teach from 4:00 until 10:00 I am always looking for ways to keep my students involved and ready to learn. I use mini-lectures (10-15 minutes)and then activities. I offer content on a concept and then application. I have had to work very hard over the years comining up with activities that support the lecture content. This is a challenge for all teachers as you know.
Other times when my students are just exhausted, I introduce an activity that is not directly related to the subject but will get them moving and refreshed. In other cases I will introduce a PP game like Jeopardy, the questions of which are all related to the topic.
In all cases I read the class and then have activities that can be used for that situation. I have nothing more than a toolbox full of learning activities that I can pull out and use with my tired students.
I find I have to try the hardest around the 6 to 7 time and then they catch a second wind and go well until about 9:30. For sure I don't lecture, but do activity based learning until class is over.
Gary

Yes, more breaks is an option... but wha tabout when this is highly regulated? Where I teach the one 20 minute break we get is scheduled. I can not give an additional break. However, I do stop and allow then to stand, strech their legs and make a quick trip to the bathroom if needed. This seems to meet their needs and gives them that extra pick me up to get to the end of the class.

I would agree whole heartedly with this method. Being a non traditional student myself, it was always refreshing when the instructor would do different activities to rejuvenate students. It would definitely recapture our focus. I try and use similar methods with my students. They are in class all day which is sometimes difficult for young adults that would rather be anywhere but in the classroom.

Hi Clifton,
Keep up the good work. Since you have walked in the same steps of your students you have the unique experience of being able to relate to what they are experiencing and then help them to become engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Carlos,

I also teach 4-credit hour courses two evenings a week. If I'm tired, I know they are all tired. I acknowledge their schedules and I find that having empathy helps. Like Dr. Meers, we play Jeopardy or Who Wants to be a Millionaire? to boost retention of the material. When I have lectured on various terms, I may have the students get into groups to discuss the key aspects of that portion of the lecture. That way, they get to interact with each other while also trying to retain information. I ask them to discuss the key points of the lecture.

I have taught many classes from 6:00PM - 10:00PM , and it does make for a very long day for working students . I try to vary the delivery methods each hour to keep them engaged . For example , go from lecture to lab to documentary to group discussion to power point .It is important to end the day with something fun that can also facilitate their learning .

Hi William,
Welcome to my world. I teach from 4:00pm until 10:00pm. You are right about your comments in terms of keeping interest up. You have to vary your approach and delivery or they will be sound a sleep.
I have always taught these hours so I have developed my professional development strategies and materials around how instructors can target the learning needs of their students.
Someday I am going to have the chance to teach from 10:00am until noon or 1 until 4. Don't know how it will go teaching students in the daylight that are not tired from a day's work.
Good ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Gary

I agree with Dr Meers because I have taught students that have worked 6-8 hours before they come to class. I had to develop stategies to motivate,lower thier stress level and promote activities which enhance (keping them entertained)student participation which is fundamental.

Actually, I try to just keep them moving. I do talk to students about their days, and I do try to get a 'feel' for what went on during the work day, as it often helps me to tailor my approach for the evening. However, I find that students, at times, just want to keep moving - instead of taking breaks - because they know they still have a lot to do before they finish their day. I think, though, a break is important, even if it's only five minutes, to regroup and refuel. My evening classes are four hours long; how long are your sessions?

Hi Andrea,
Longer class session especially those in the evening are always a challenge. My classes run for three hours, 4 until 7 and then start again with a different class from 7 until 10. I give my students breaks at different times depending on what we are doing. If I have been presenting a lecture I give them a break as we get set up or move to the lab setting. If we are working in a lab setting I generally use rolling breaks, meaning the students take their breaks as they complete a phase of their work and if they feel they need one. If I am doing group work I will combine the group assignment with a break. I will tell the students that they have 20 minutes to complete their group project and take their break. The group then decides how they are going to use their time, in terms of break and work.
Gary

Gary,
I never heard of a 'rolling break', but I guess I have implemented it on occasion. I like that idea, though. Everyone gets a break, but students are still working. Maybe that keeps them all motivated - and keeps the class moving as well.

Andrea

My advice is to keep the class: a)relevant by bringing in current events, b) real by having the students bring in their real life, everyday work challenges which correspond to the course content, c) moving, time is valuable, keep repetition to a minimum and include lots of activities. When the topics are covered, let the students go and ask those who want to stay to stay and discuss items in more depth. Don't watch the clock or have the clock serve as a filler; use the syllabus as your guide.

i have had the same experience and i try to do a number of things...often doing short stints broken up by discussion questions and working groups. i also tend to lighten it up often and talk about the direct experiences that they might have had that day or week at their work. i think this is part of dealing with non traditional students and making sure that you are empathetic as a professor.

Hi Matthew,
Good approach. This is a good way to get the students settled into the course and feeling confident that the can be successful. Letting them use their previous experiences is really important in helping them to feel secure in the class setting.
Gary

This is the time when I have to spend the most energy. I always make sure I have had my energy boost before going into my 6:00 pm class. I actually dim the lights just a bit to create a more inviting environment. Now, I don't dim them to the level of inducing sleep. Additionally, I am sure to learn the students names very quickly, so I can incorporate them into the discussions. I use the board, move about the room, and incorporate as much fun into the learning at this hour of the day as possible. I have found that keeping it light after a long day at work seems to help. I also move the course along quickly. It seems that my energy activates their energy. Mine is to deliver and theirs is to learn. I actually had a student last week say her 6:00 class was her favorite. Now, who says this about English grammar. It surprised me.

Judith,
I understand your challenge in teaching later in the day courses. I teach from 4 until 10 so my students are tired and hungry. We go until 7 take a dinner break and then they come back tired and full. Tough audience to say the least. I use the strategies you listed for the reasons you listed. If we don't bring energy to the classroom we don't have a chance of keeping the students engaged. I admire them for furthering their education by coming to school at night, I want them to see that the effort is worth it.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment