Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

motovation

Students need daily support of how well they are doing. They do not want to hear how bad it is going. Therefore an instuctor must find something in the course of the day that will perpentuate a positive response no matter how small. For the student a positive response can make his or her day. The bottom line is to develop a means of rewarding those who need alittle more than the rest.

HI Anthony,
You are right about some students needing more encouragement and support than others. A perspective instructor will be able to sort out those students that need the "extras" in the course and provide them through a simple word, comments on projects or other supports. These efforts often result in retaining a student rather that they leaving the school.
Gary

I agree completely. Some of the students come from abusive backgrounds and have very little trust towards other people. I have found that telling them how awesome they are when they've done a good job will usually put them at ease; therefore, they begin to trust that I truly do have their best interests at heart. I told three people today how awesome they are and the rewards from doing that are hard to describe. I love to see a person smile from the heart!

Hi Teresa,
Inspiring words. Sometimes I don't think we realize how much we are encouraging our students with just a few simple words of praise.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

I have found that with out positive feedback from the instructor from which to base their progress students tend to under rate thenselves . In the service fields which I teach before the students actually perform the tasks in lab quite often they are unsure of themselves without constructive feed back and encouragement in class .

Hi Dan,
We all need encouragement as we progress with our learning. By providing positive feedback to your students are are helping them to progress but also setting them up for receiving feedback that is needed when they are not doing something as they should or should do something differently. Good strategy.
Gary

Positive reinforement for my students is a daily thing. It help them coming back for more!!!

Hi Tom,
Right you are. We like to know how we are doing and that someone values what we are doing. Students are not different.
Gary

Sign In to comment