Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Building a Rapport with Students

Building a rapport with my students help them to become more comfortable in the classroom learning environment. I willingly share some of my personal professional experiences with my students, which motivate them, and helps to establish a trust and openness with them.

What are some ways you build a rapport with your students?

Vernise

Vernise,
A method I have found effective was to give case studies to students and have them work through them. Then I have them report out on the solutions they have come up with. They have to defend their solutions to the class. While they are working on the case studies I talk with them and make suggestions. These interactions help to make a connection with the students and forms the basis for the development of rapport.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

At times is one of the most difficult things to accomplish. Its easy with the students who show up before class. You can talk about sports, weather, yesterdays discussion, etc. For the student who arrived just on time or late, it is harder to do. We usually have lab after class discussion and there is usually another opportunity to build up rapport providing the student wants it. Eye contact along with not passing judgment is most important. Sometimes the student are looking for another parental figure without the consequences of you being their real parent.

ANTHONY,
Good description of the different roles an instructor can play in working with students. This is part of the human factor in being an educator and it helps us to understand how much we can impact the lives of our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Agreed. Finding common ground can seem difficult at first but is often easier than you'd think. Getting to know the personalities and interests can seem like a daunting task but is actually one of the more enjoyable aspects of the job.

I tend to agree with you, Anthony. I value the students as people and do enjoy getting to know them for who they are.

I build rapport with my students by telling them about true incidents that occured when I was working in the field and by listening to their concerns and trying to help them find solutions.

Dale,
As you have experienced students really perk up when you share a story from the field. The more you can show them relevance through these examples the better. Keep up the sharing because this is how they see applications being made of the material.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment