Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Building rapport with students

It is very important to know your boundaries as a teacher but to remember that not having any good rapport with the students can be a bad thing. The students need to know that you ultimately do care for them and that you do what them to succeed in life. Eye contact is important. Showing them that you are listening with head gestures.

Adina,
All good points to consider as one refines his or her instructional style. You are the learning leader so you need to set the example and help keep the students on topic while presenting them with a variety of learning opportunities.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As long as you can keep it professional and don't cross the line.

Scott,
Good caution that every instructor need to remember.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I always worry about my instructors that go outside and smoke with the students. The students tend to think because they smoke together and talk they are now really good friends. I think the students get a false sense of security when this happens.

Tracy,
I think this is a mistake professionally. There are boundaries between instructors and students and they need to be maintained. You are right about the false sense of security that can come out of this.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Very good points. The students need to know that you are not out to get them through, but to help them succeed in what is next in their lives.

Joe,
That is the basis of respect and rapport. We are there to help them achieve their goals and in return we expect them to put forth the needed effort to be successful in the class. This is a win win for everyone.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree. Some students may have the misconception that teachers are the enemy and are out with their red pens to happily give out poor grades. It is important they know the teachers are on their side and take pleasure in seeing them succeed and not fail. They need to be able to trust that you are testing them for their own benefit and not to criticize.

Krista,
Trust is the foundation for the earning of respect and respect is the basis of rapport. Each builds on the other as the students become a part of the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment