Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diversity with Adult Learners

As educators we do not believe that all learners are the same. We also know that an individual learner's culture, family background, and socioeconomic level affect his or her learning.These beliefs, principles and theories have an important impact on the opportunities for success for every student in our schools. In one sense, the current imbalance is easily understood. Sameness is always easier to accommodate than difference, and education practices often have been developed to consciously promote the same education for all students. We have few teaching models that appropriately accommodate both consistent educational values and human diversity.

I agree even though all learners are not the same, they should all be embraced from the start. If diversity isn't embraced it can be very chaotic and detrimental to the school at hand.

I also agree all learners are difinately not the same, but as an instructor we should show that we are truly there for the student and that the open door policy is in full effect. We as instructors have to listen, give advice, and help the student at all cause..

Hi Kimberly,
This is so true. If the students know they have a supportive instructor they are more likely to confide in and see help from such an instructor when they have challenges in their lives that might cause issues in their studies.
Gary

I disagree. The type of diversity that you are mentioning is not relevant for education.

One of the interesting points in this class is that the fear that older students have is essentially the same that the younger students suffer.

Both groups suffer from a fear of inadequacy. The younger ones do not want to fail out of school or look like dummies. The older ones are afraid that they cannot compete with the younger ones.

If we treat everyone with respect and equality, we are doing a great job. The lesson of diversity is that people from different backgrounds benefit from the same treatment.

There are exceptions of course at the extremes such as with learning disabilities and people who have a tough time with the language of instruction but as a general rule we should treat our students the same.

Of course we need to recognize that there are different ways of learning and we should mix up our teaching methods to help different types of learners. This has nothing to do with their family background, culture, or socioeconomic background. I think you are way off the mark with your understanding of what diversity is about.

Sign In to comment