Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Just plain worn out

Some times as an educator we get in the groove of doing the same things over and over. Just like our students we need an alternative means of stimulating our brain a recharge if you will. Often times doing the same classes over and over we become set in our ways and resist the urge to think out of the box.

Yes, I've found this happens especially when the same text and supplementary readings are used from semester to semester. It has worked for me to keep the material (and me!) fresh by continuously searching for articles or videos about the latest thinking by well-known people in the field and using that material extensively in my classes.

During lectures, I think its a good idea to encourage questions to take the material in different directions from time to time. That way the material isn't so monotonous as long as the questions start an interesting discussion about the topic.

I have a voracious appetite for news stories -- it started when I was a kid delivering newspapers. I try to find something "real world" to bring to class every week to help the students see that what they are learning is both relevant but timely!

In an unusual connection this week, I've been discussing how decision sciences can be applied to video games. We discussed using the game Sim City as a way to make real the issues of Urban Planning.

-dd

Hi David,
This is a great connection to the real world. Who would have thought in terms of the application of games (Sim City) to urban planning? This helps the students to see application and relevancy to what they are doing.
Gary

I am always trying to learn new things about my material too but I would caution you on what you use in class due to copyright infringement issues.

Referencing material is very different than presenting material. Fair use still rules if you're not making copies for distribution.

I mainly use URL's that present what is publically available anyway.

The poster mentioned using those materials extensively in class.

I like to come up with new assignments and activities each time I teach a class so I do not end up doing the same things over and over again. This keeps me excited and motivated to teach some of the classes I teach nearly every quarter.

I try to do the same thing by referencing information without actually showing the information to my students as a reference that they could research. I feel that this can help them learn multiple things, not just the information itself.

I think this is very true. Sometimes you just need to change things up not only for yourself but for your students. It goes a long way to renergize the classroom.

Through new teaching techniques in for fun. Some of them you'll like and you'll start using regularly.

Hi Michael,
What are some sources you have used to identify new teaching techniques?
Gary

Jeff, you make some valid points. I am in the situation right now, I have taught the same class every 8 weeks for over 2 years. I have been looking for new topics to stimulate the discussion threads, some buy into it and some don't. I find many wnat to do just the minimum, I often feel I am not doing my job as I get into the slump too due to their lack of participation. Maybe I am plain worn out!

That's certainly happened to me, sure. It's even more evident when you're teaching multiple sections of the same course. I do try to mix it up a bit, but we have to be aware of the course objectives too.

One way I try to keep from getting burned out is to request movement within the scope of my department. Teaching the same class over and over gets boring and leads to complacency. Teaching different courses allows me to get a better understanding of how the student experiences the curriculum...

I agree with that, I to like teaching different courses within my department. This keeps me up to date with new developments in the courses and keeps me as motivated as I hope my students are.

researching whats new in your field keeping up with new ideas and presenting them to students during the lectures without violating any school policies can be taxing and frustrating while still teaching the corriculum.

I couldn't agree with you more. In addition, we figure that since the way we taught it before will be just as good for the newest group of students when in fact, they all aren't the same. I have found that being just worn out on the subject matter and have to find ways to reviatlize myself which then in turn helps the students. That, and trying to find new ways to approach an old or tired approach to a necessary skill.

One suggestion, that was not covered in the class, is to visit another instructor's class. Instructors have different ways of refocusing. When we see another instructor obtaining success with another method, it can motivate us.

Sign In to comment