Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you Refocus the Director or Academic Dean?

Sometimes the administration needs to be refocused. How do you do it?

Hi Fred,
That is a question that almost every instructor has raised at one time or another. One approach is to have a clear instructional plan and share it with the administration. In addition, always be forward focused on how the recommendations you are making will help your students and the college achieve the goals that each have.
The administration has to see you as a contributing member of the faculty and not just a complaining staff member.
Gary

At my institution key administration personnel regularly attend the faculty meetings for the express purpose of listening and talking directly with faculty. The Dean of Faculty is always present and facilitates the discussion. Discussion is lively and productive because we work together as a team to develop solutions to problems facing faculty members and students. Many of our administration people also function as part-time faculty. The interaction between faculty, Dean's, and administration empowers strategic management adjustments, focuses policy and procedural developments, commits resources and energies to successfully administer the education process, and recognizes our ultimate goal of retaining, motivating, educating, and graduating the student.

Hi Scott,
Sounds like you are teaching in a top notch professional setting. This is how education should be done for everyone. It sounds like your college is student centered with all planning revolving around how to better provide education to and for students with the faculty and administration being the support team.
Gary

Strive to have ongoing communication with the Administration. I find myself needing to make sure that I always bring "something to the table". I find if you have an idea, have a plan or solution. I make sure that I follow up and ask for an agreed opon time line to impliment the policy or change.

Sign In to comment