Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

rapport with students

in my last forum topic i mentioned that the students find me to be a stickler to rules. i, however, do build a good rapport with my students regardless of this perception. i find that if i can relate and interact outside the class i get the needed classroom attention and work product. i build this rapport outside as well as in the classroom by joking around with them. i feel this helps put them at ease.

Hi Gilbert,
There is nothing wrong with being an instructor of high standards. I like to put myself in that category as well. I expect the best from my students and I will do everything I can to support them in achieving those standards.
That being said you will be earning the respect of your students through your holding to high standards but also being seen as a human being through the establishment of rapport with your students. With respect and rapport you will be able to do much them.
A casual atmosphere before class helps set a relaxed tone and then the students know when to get serious about the class when you call them to order.
Keep up your good work.
Gary

This has been an issue for me, again being a new instructor, wanting to be friends instead of teacher/student.

I am still learning the fine line of rules; where to slide, rock the boat, or become that stickler.

I have really worked on that this term and actually, I seem to feel more respect from the students, believe it or not...Not the reality I had imagined.

Hi Stacey,
Good to hear about your success. Keep up the good work and professional growth. Instruction will get easier as you spend time working with and learning from all of the experiences and students you will be having.
Gary

i agree a relaxed setting with firm rules seams to make them learn and respect you and the rules

Sign In to comment