Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping focus

I have a hard time with my LIVE conferences. I am aware as an instructor, never let students run the discussion. However, with live conference calling students tend to bring other topics to the discussion that are not related to the subject matter. I have tried giving my discussion rules before the session begins but we still have those students who continually disrupts the session. What other ways can I better facilitate my session?

Hi Patricia,
Another factor you might introduce to the sessions is time. Set a time that you are going devote to each topic. Say 5 minutes. This way if the discussion goes off track you can stop it and introduce another topic. This forces the students to be brief in their discussions, even when off topic because they know in a few minutes you are going to stop them and go to the next topic.
Stop the new discussion if they try to bring up the previous off topic discussion in the new time frame. Remind them that for this time span the topic is ........... At least this way if they go off topic they have to come up with a new topic rather than continue the previous one.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Yes, keeping chats from becoming sessions for venting or frustration can be difficult. I have tried to start with the things that are going right in the course and the smaller accomplishments that they have made to keep students in a positive state of mind.

If you have repeat offenders, it may help to have an offline chat with them. Give them a chance to understand your goals and listen to their opinions regarding the chat format. This may give you some insight you hadn't considered about the conference methodology and allow them to understand the importance of following a prescribed format in this environment.

Good luck!

Sign In to comment