Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being on time has always be an issue for our students. I try to set the example by being early and never show up late, including breaks. I seems it is always the younger student that have a difficult time in being in their seats at the start of class. I don't this they realize or care if their late or early departure is distracting to the class. Our staff can deduct points off their grade but sometimes I don't think it bothers them.
The unfortunate thing is that later in their career their employer won't be as forgiving.

Hi Troy,
Well said. You make a number of very good points about attendance. The biggest point is your last one, the employer will care about the worker being on time and in attendance. Sometimes a hard point to get across to students.
Gary

How agressive ?

Is having the tardy students turn in some type of essay or written paper every time they are late, and then read it to the class the next day too agressive?

Can you tell this is something that really annoy's me?

Hi Sandie,
One suggestion might be to have a number of professional points that the students can earn for participation in the course. These points are earned by being on time and on site. Other ways can be through participation in group activities and class discussions. Make the total amount of points high enough that the students have to have them to pass the course.
I use this system and when they are tardy they do not earn the points. I keep them informed as to their point totals and they can see clearly where they are with their points and grades.
I also speak to the students individually about their attendance and being on time. I do this first so they know I am aware of their habits and that they won't be successful in the class if they continue on the tardy path.
If the problem gets to be so severe that they are causing problems in the class and are not going to be successful I talk with the administration and we remove them for that phase. If they want they can come back another time, but the same rules apply.
Gary

if a student is late 8 times in 15 days he has to take the class again with a charge so it usually is not a problem if you dont give them any slack on this

This is a real issue with that age group. I work with GED prep students, ages 17-21. In addition to a lack of internal motivation to be on time, many of my students have transportation issues.

Only a few of my students have cars. Most either walk to class, take a bus or are dropped off when a friend or relative is on their way to/from work. As a result, they often have little control over WHEN they can get to school.

I try not to focus on this in a negative way. On the days when it is crucial I have all students on time (9 am), I remind them the day before to be there on time. Otherwise, when they are late, they simply have to make up what they missed on their own time.

we here also have the same problem. we have a policy where if they are late, they recieve an
attendance downgrade. the downgrade will show up on their records.
even with this policy, we still have students who are habitually late.

At our school several instructors have a quiz in the first 5 minutes of class. Miss the quiz...there is no makeup. For the end of a long class I encourage instructors to have a group work session in which points for the work can only be given that evening....again no makeup work.

Hi Christina,
This is what assuming responsibility is all about. By catching them on the front and end of the class students are being given a chance to earn points and get benefit of the total class. They need to be there on time and stay the entire class.
Gary

I will do "bell work" with my students or even a pop quiz. I add the points into the grade for the class and they realize that if they are late, they are missing out on points. The more they are late, the lower their grade will be. I have also had the students who were late write a paper on why it is important to show up to their job ontime and what the potential back fires could be for them showing up late repeatedly. I hold my students very accountable for their own actions.

Kimberly,
I like the accountability you are putting on the students. Sometimes I think they forget we have already graduated, this is why we are in charge of the class. With our support it is up to them to learn the required content and develop the required skills. By doing so they are going to be employable, if not they won't. It is really quite simple but sometimes hard to grasp by them.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I also give a quiz, based on the last lecture, 5 minutes after the start of class, if the student is later than that they only have until the "time is up" to finish. If they are later than the "time is up" or absent they do not receive the points.

Sandra,
I like your method because you are showing them the value both professionally as well as grade wise of being on time and ready to learn. This is how real life operates and they need to realize that.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment